what can i do with my son who is acting up so much in school (kindergarden)?

He is 6 years old and he is getting in trouble so much he even was suspended from school 1 day. He taught that was great. What should i do? I'm frustrated, worried, confused etc.

worried4ej

Asked by worried4ej at 1:40 PM on May. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he thought it was great to get suspended maybe he doesn't like his classmates/teacher. Are there any other rooms they could move him to? Have you tried talking to him and seeing if/why he may not like school? Some kids have a VERY hard time transitioning to going to school. Since this year is almost over maybe you could arrange so like once a month over the summer you can take your son into the school and let him see his new classroom and meet his teacher, just sit in there for a little while, do a puzzle or something so he has all that time to get used to the room and being there. Maybe that'll help him for next year.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 1:55 PM on May. 9, 2009

• What's he doing? What kind of consequences do you follow up with at home? I teach all day K. I use a behavior chart that is divided into 7 hours--it represents the school day. If a child is making attempts to behave and improve I give a sticker, if not a sad face. The chart is sent home and signed by a parent. If there were problems I jot down what they were. I consider 5 out of 7 stickers a pretty good day. It does not work for all kids, but many do like the chart and take pride in their good choices. It is late in the year, has any counseling been give through school? Without details, I hope this helps.

As for the suspension, sometimes that needs to happen regardless of how the child feels.  The school should have a code of conduct.  If suspension is the consequence, it must be adhered to for the sake of fairness to all the children in that school or district. 

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

• When my son acts up(not listeninga nd talking to much) he gets his privlages taken away no games no tv/movies, no playing with friends he can draw/color and read and do whatever work i can come up with. What did you have him do on this day he was suspended??? My son would have been sitting at the kitchen table all day doing work.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:55 AM on May. 10, 2009

• hello my name is Lina and I am also in the same boat. My daughter is in first grade and since i was 6 months pregnant she has been talking and not paying attention in class. There is not a morning i do not argue about her going to school since she doesn't want to go. In school she is alwas distracted, talking and no paying attention to her teacher. She gets a chart which she brings home every day and she gets yellows mre than greens. yellow been bad since that means she was in time out. Is ahrd to talk to her sinceshe has become very arguing for everything. I was told is her age and also because of the new baby but she gets everything the baby doesn't get.
    Lvasquez1997

Answer by Lvasquez1997 at 3:08 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I'm in the same boat with my stepson. He's a good kid but can't control himself at school and definitely seems to have more bad days than good....its SO frustrating. I find myself getting so upset with him and it ruins many evenings at home because we have to go over everything again when my husband comes home...we have tried everything to get him to behave at school but he loves to make the other kids laugh and can't seem to find a happy medium when it comes to having fun. He always takes things one step further than he should. He LOVES attention any way he can get it. This has been a LONG school year and at this point I am just hoping that he matures a bit over the summer so that next year we see at least SOME improvement. I'm sorry I don't have any great advice but wanted to let you know you aren't alone! I think this is a tough age and the only thing I would say you definitely need to do is BE CONSISTENT.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:38 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Well I came on here to look for answers for my own son. I'm at my wits end with him these days. My situation is the same as yours and "stepmom929"'s post sounds like I wrote it, except it's my own son.
    Today I got a letter from the teacher attached to a note my son wrote to a girl in his class. The teacher intercepted it and he lied about it. Then she took him to see the principal and he kept up the lie with him. It's just ridiculous.
    I'm also looking forward to the summer and hope he matures!
    teach_ohio

Answer by teach_ohio at 8:07 PM on May. 12, 2009