Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

get medical coverage for myself in Oh or WV

Ok my family has 4 members my husband my 2 kids and me. Hubby is healthy and kids already get medical cards so I am asking strictly for myself.

We make around 35,000 a year between my husbands job and dd gets ssi (she's autistic) anyway even though I have a ton of medical bills and health problems the dhhr said they could not help me.

I have breathing problems, major swelling in my hands and feet and a positive ANA test. I was told I needed to see a rheumatologist but they told me we had to pay upfront.

hubby's co offers lame insurance 50 co pays or more on specialist and have to pay 40% of labs and scripts. That is on top of the 400 dollars it would take to add me. We can't afford it and even if we could some how get the insurance we couldn't afford the co pays or to get my meds (they are around 400-500 a month)

Some one told me I might be able to get help if I moved to Ohio so I was wondering if someone knew. no bashing.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Health

Answers (5)
  • yes in ohio were im from if your kids get med help you get it too untill there i belive 15 or 18 i get med for me and my kids and DH were sel-employed and our son gets ssi we dont get cash but we can get everything else e-mail me i can call my office 4 u

    Answer by lilmama29113 at 1:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

  • I can tell you that you are more than likely uninsurable in your condition in the private market anyway. At least with Blue Cross Blue Shield where I work. Probably most any other companies also since it sounds like you don't have a definative diagnosis yet. So don't feel bad about needing state help because your uninsurable anyway. Alot of states have programs for those who are in your situation. Sounds as if Ohio may be one. Good luck! And I sympathize. I am having major joint pain that just started and awaiting results of my ANA and rheumatoid factor tests.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 10, 2009

  • Judging from the number of people in your family and the gross income amount you have stated, you probably make too much money to qualify for Medicaid, although I can't say for certain. For what reason did someone recommend Ohio? Were they speaking of another group for assistance other than Medicaid?

    Here's the Ohio Medicaid Customer Service phone number, you might want to call. It can't hurt.
    Ohio Health Plans (Medicaid)
    Medicaid Consumer Hotline 800-324-8680

    Answer by DawnA72 at 10:00 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • If we got me on hubby's insurance and actually paid the co pay we wouldn't have money for food, rent etc b/c we make too much to qualify for anythng help ... the only way I will get a med card is if they declare me disabled which they aren't going to do with out a diagnosis which I can't get b/c I can't get seen.

    Anyway someone said they had something called willing workers or something like that where you could make more money and still get health coverage. They also said Ohio was better for autistic children which I don't know if it's true or not.


    Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on May. 13, 2009

  • I meant to qualify for any help. Sorry I'm still half asleep.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on May. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.