When did you get rid of naptime?

I've got 3 17-month old triplets and twins on the way and I am debating on when to get rid of nap. My friends say "oh when they hit 3, stop the nap"...but I feel like my kids really do need the rest.

At what age did you child(ren) stop taking naps?
please i need help!!

kaitlin06

Asked by kaitlin06 at 2:31 PM on May. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Keep the naps going as long as you can don't be crazy! lol kids get rid of naptime not mom.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 2:32 PM on May. 9, 2009

• NEVER ITS YOUR PEACE TIME LOL i still make my 9 yr old lay down to take a nap with his younger sibs sometimes he feel like he need it too they ware him out.
    Anonymous

• My kids are 4 and 5 and they do not nap unless they are being whiny and pouty that day! Then I make them lay down for a while and they usually fall asleep. My daughter will be in kindergarten next year and will have to take naps there!
    taliankobesmom

Answer by taliankobesmom at 2:50 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Never force your children to stop napping. That's just mean. To me it's like saying "well, building my day around my child's need to eat is a pain so I stopped feeding him lunch to avoid the hassle."
    Most states require preschools to have nap time. Many full day kindergartens do to. You will know when your children don't need to nap anymore - they simply will no longer go to sleep. But even then an hour break of quietly reading books on their beds is a great idea for all of you.

And remember, an overtired child, a child forced to drop a nap he still needs, will have rotten behavior in the evening, will fight going to sleep at night, will wake often in the night, and will actually wake earlier in the morning. He will feel achy and grouchy all the time - pretty much how you would feel if you were in a car wreck every single afternoon. Keep the nap.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:21 PM on May. 9, 2009

• It really depends on the kids. My dd was taking naps everyday up until she was 5. She still needs a nap about once a week. My ds on the otherhand was done with naps at 2. You can tell when they are tired but if I were you and I had triplets and twins on the way I would not be getting rid of naps anytime soon.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 5:39 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Most of the moms I know just let their kids indicate when nap times aren't needed.

Think of how you knew they were ready to go from two naps to one, its the same thing.

When you put them down to nap, and they just won't sleep, and the don't seem any bit cranky for not having slept...then they're ready.

Until then, let them snooze, and enjoy the break!
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:51 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Keep them napping until right before they go to Kindergarten if you can. My son stopped napping on his own at 2 yrs old. Also, they don't necessarily need to sleep at naptime, they may need to just lay down and rest. I know kids that can lay down for an hour or so, watch a movie and be fine the rest of the day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on May. 9, 2009