OK to take a baby to the movies?

So I want to go with my mother to the movies tomorrow to see that new X Men movie (shes so into that, thats what she wanted to do for Mothers Day) but I will have no one to watch my baby. He is 6 months. Would it be ok to take him? Or should I try to figure out something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would try to figure something else out. That would be rude for anyone else watching the movie.
    Anonymous

• ummm I wouldn't take him. I've seen the movie and it's really loud, it might startle your child. I would try to find a friend to watch him
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 2:43 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Both my babies went to the movies with us around that age. They were fine. We went around their bedtime and they both slept most of the way through. My son (my first) watched a little bit (the colors and movement were interesting to him, I think) and then conked out. My daughter nursed and slept the whole way through.

We would have left if they had started crying or making noise, though. Too rude to stay if they aren't quiet.

In fact, when we took our then 2.5 year old to see "Cars" we took our baby too. She started fussing (she was terribly colicky), and I ended up outside in the hallway walking and bouncing her for part of the movie.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 2:56 PM on May. 9, 2009

• The loud sound can be damaging to a baby's young ears. Chances are that you will either spend half the movie in the lobby with a screaming baby or in the theater with a screaming baby annoying everyone else.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I would never take my daughter to the movies (until she is older, of course). There is nothing like spending $10 per ticket, to not hear it, because a baby is crying . . . that's what blockbuster is for.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:14 PM on May. 9, 2009

• we take our daughter to the movies all the time and have since she was like 3 months old. it depends on the baby though. mine is 10 months old now and as long as i have a snack for her she sits in my lap and watches the movie. when she was younger she would sleep or hold a stuffed toy. just take a bottle and a snack if your baby is on solids and if he starts babbling put your hand over his mouth for a second. Mine gets to point pretty fast when I do that... but ya. As long as you don't have a generally fussy baby its fine.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 3:30 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I'd figure something else out, especially since it will be a LOUD movie. That will keep him from sleeping (which means you won't get to pay full attention to the movie) and may damage his hearing.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:13 PM on May. 9, 2009

• If it gets super loud put your hands over his ears... the WHOLE movie wont be super loud. Just parts of it will.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 5:00 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I think it would be ok to take him as long as you are willing to leave early if he gets fussy or starts crying. It's not fair to disrupt everyone else's viewing experience if your baby isn't happy.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 5:25 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Legally, the baby wouldn't even be allowed in cos the x men film has a certificate. Thats definatley the law here in the uk. Doesn't matter if they are only 6 months. they ARE underage.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 5:45 PM on May. 9, 2009