Other peoples kids with my baby

Okay so when I take my DS to his Karate class 3-5 times a week me and my 17 month ol sit in the waiting room and watch/wait for him. I allow my DD to walk/crawl around. I know most of the parents and older/younger kids there who are waiting. There is this one girl (about 8)who is there sometimes that will NOT listen to me! I tell her over and over 'don't pick her up' 'Leave her there' 'She's fine where she is' This child is all in her face and tells me every five seconds. 'She spit on me' 'she hit me' I keep telling her that is what babies do. Her parents sit outside on the benches and leave her inside so I feel weird talking to them about it. She is the only child in the room that does this! The other are good and listen to me. I don't know what to do with this one girl. Am I being silly or would this bother you to? What should I do about it? I can't hold her for a hour!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 2:44 PM on May. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• At 17 months old if somebody keeps getting in your face and trying to pick you up and messing with you even after you try moving away over and over (which I assume your dd is doing, that's what my 13 month old does when she wants her brothers to leave her alone) you are going to do the next thing that comes naturally to you and you are going to push that person away, or hit etc...Your daughter is not doing anything wrong, those are normal behaviors for her age if somebody keeps coming at her over and over and won't ;eave her alone when she's had enough. I would speak to the parents as nicely as possible about it, say something like "Could you ask your daughter not to try to pick up my baby please? I've asked her and she isn't listening to me, she's probably just a little excited about the baby but I don't want either of them to get hurt." Something along those lines.
    Anonymous

• At 17 months she should be hitting or spiting on anyone but thats beside the point. That is something a 9 month old does. Just tell the little girl to go away if your daughter is being "mean" to her. At 17 months she doesn't know "mean" but she should not hit or spit and that other little girl shouldn't be close enough unless she asks you first. I would tell her parents that she is in your daughters face and that you feel uncomfortable letting her down because their daughter is always trying to pick her up. If you don't want to talk to them talk to the teacher and have them speak to her parents about it.
    Anonymous

• Well, not really spitting just drooling and playfully slapping at the decorations on her shoes or pants. You know normal baby exploring. It's not like she's slapping the girl in the face or spitting on her on purpose. I guess I should have explained better.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:52 PM on May. 9, 2009

• You can either ask the parents to watch their child, or you can bring a baby-backpack to keep you baby in.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:15 PM on May. 9, 2009

• "I would speak to the parents as nicely as possible about it, say something like "Could you ask your daughter not to try to pick up my baby please? I've asked her and she isn't listening to me, she's probably just a little excited about the baby but I don't want either of them to get hurt." Something along those lines."

I agree with that. Sounds like what I would do in that situation. OR---- ask the people that run the place to ask the parents to keep up with thier child. That way you don't have to confront them yourself if you aren't comfortable with it.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:16 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I agree with the above ^ They really shouldn't be leaving their daughter unattended in a setting like that and if you speak with the people in charge maybe they can post a sign asking that children not be left in the waiting area without adult supervision. That way it's not coming directly from you and not really specifically directed at them.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:34 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I'd tell the girl that if she wasn't that close to her that she couldn't get hit or spit/drooled on, and she could hurt herself picking up your little one. And then I'd talk to the parents and explain the situation and tell them the same thing, that she could be hurt trying to pick her up as well as drop the little one.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 4:31 PM on May. 9, 2009