Can I drink more than 2 glasses of wine after I put my DD to bed, and still BF in the morning?

My DD sleeps through the night, and I needed to know if I could feed her in the morning or if I need to pump and dump in the morning?
Thank you in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stick with one.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on May. 9, 2009

• After that many hours you would be fine to nurse in the morning after several glasses. Once it's out of your system it's out of your milk, no need to pump and dump.
    Anonymous

• they say 12 hrs if youre drinking..but i dont know if 2 glasses of wine is considered drinking and needing to pump and dump
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:04 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yes, as soon as the alcohol leaves your bloodstream it also leaves your milk.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:23 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yes, no need to pump and dump, like VeronicaLee said, the alcohol leaves your milk when it leaves your blood.

La Leche League's THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK (pp. 597-598) says:

Alcohol passes freely into mother's milk and has been found to peak about 30 to 60 minutes after consumption, 60 to 90 minutes when taken with food. Alcohol also freely passes out of a mother's milk and her system. It takes a 120 pound woman about two to three hours to eliminate from her body the alcohol in one serving of beer or wine...the more alcohol that is consumed, the longer it takes for it to be eliminated.

More info on the La Leche League website at: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/alcohol.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:13 PM on May. 9, 2009

• as veronicalee and mggiemom200 said, theres no need to pump and dump, once its out of your bloodstream, its out of your milk. so basically, if you can feel the effects of alcohol, so will your baby if you feed.
    the whole pump and dump if youve had an alcoholic drink thing is a myth perpetrated by formula companies to add to their sales campaigns.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 6:02 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Your milk will be fine...make sure to drink plenty of water, alcohol can lower supply if you get dehydrated..
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:49 PM on May. 9, 2009