is it normal to be so terrified of SIDS?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I was super terrified of SIDS until my daughter turned 9 months old . . . I still check on her a lot, but I'm not really too worried about SIDS anymore. Don't worry, you're not crazy! It is very normal.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:21 PM on May. 9, 2009

• It is normal. I had to make myself stop worrying about it because it was seriously disrupting my life. I just had to make sure that I did everything I could to prevent it and then let the worry go. I knew if something terrible was going to happen I had done everything in my power to stop it from happening.
    I grew up in a family of worriers so it was pretty ingrained in me to be a worrier too. I had to make myself give up worrying all together. I think you have to do your best to prevent bad things from happening but then go on and live your life. It does you and those around you no good to worry all the time. It can cause high blood pressure, anxiety attacks, weight gain, and a whole host of other problems.
    Do your best and then get on with life.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:32 PM on May. 9, 2009

• ofcourse it is we are not afriad of things we understand but sence there is no know cause of sids then we cant undersstand it so its only natural to be terrified of it
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 4:35 PM on May. 9, 2009

• yes i had a friends baby die of it and after i had mine i dont think i slept for weeks and shes two now and i still have trouble sleeping even thought shes not at risk for it anymore
    Anonymous

• I dont think there is any woman who has had a child thats not completely terrified of SIDS I was... I'm a 19 year old first time mother and when I went back for my son's 1 week check up with my OB I talked to her about it.. This is what she told me... If you spend all your time worring about SIDS you will never truely enjoy your baby.If your child is ment to die of SIDS they will die of SIDS no matter what you do, you can not prevent it or stop it.It'spre-chosen before they make it here.So why not just enjoy everyday with your child so if they do die os SIDS you know you made every second count.Just enjoy every smile,everylaugh,even every poopy diaper.. then you will know you made the most of the wonderful experiance of motherhood.It's helped me so much to remember this and my son is now almost 9 months old.I dont lose sleep I check him once during his naps and once before I go to sleep and leave it at that..hope that helps
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 5:48 PM on May. 9, 2009