Is it okay to let a baby entertain themselves?

My son is almost 6 months old and he does really good keeping himself busy. Right now I am on the computer and hes on the floor playing with his toys, and has been for 30 minutes with no fussing. I play with him alot too, but sometimes I feel guilty letting him occupy himself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's fine ... If you gave your baby your 100% attention all day you'd never get anything done.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 4:25 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Of course it is ok! At that age my daughter loved foot rattles.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:25 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My daughter is almost 8 months and we let her play alone as well. Kids need alone time to learn to self entertain and self soothe, if your always with them then they will never let you get away with doing anything. As long as you tend to his needs when he is crying why not let him play alone.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:26 PM on May. 9, 2009

• As long as he is in a safe place. And you check on him. I think It is fine.

Answer by louise2 at 4:26 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Every baby is different. My daughter I couldn't put down for a second.. but our youngest is 4 month and already enjoys some kicking time in his little bouncy chair. You're not a bad parent - as long as the baby is happy to be there - enjoy some "free time" monitoring him and playing around on your computer!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:29 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yeah, every day I set up "playland" in the living room. I sit and play with her for a while and then once she starts playing on her own, i will get up and do things or just jump on the computer. Like pp said, as long as he is safe and there is nothing that he can get into to, it's fine. It's great that they learn how to entertain themselves. If anything, encourage it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:30 PM on May. 9, 2009

• yes thats exactly what your suppose to do so the child can learn to be independant so they will want to learn to walk and want to play with other kids
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 4:37 PM on May. 9, 2009

• YES! hahaha Mothers who constantly play with their babies seem to only be setting themselves up for constant attention whores!
    Anonymous

• I think it is great when kids can entertain themselves. I have friends that have older children- up to 10-12 years old that constantly have to be kept entertained. It sucks for them, I always get compliments on how " I wish my kids could keep themselves busy like that" It's a gift- enjoy it- there are plenty of times when they demand your attention.
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 5:47 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yes, he needs to learn to play on his own. My 9 yr old loves to play by herself ...other times she'll want me to join in. Right now she is playing "doctor" with our cats LOL! I think it helps give them an imagination!

Anonymous