What are some cheap, or free things I can do with my kids this summer?

My stepson is going to his mom's all summer. I am working partime at the pool. I usually take them to the pool and they participate in the summer reading program at the library. I just want to be able to entertain them and let them have fun too.

Katie911

Asked by Katie911 at 4:26 PM on May. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Check the local newspaper, the momslikeme.com website for your city, or maybe there is a cafemom group for your area. Good Luck!
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 10:11 PM on May. 9, 2009

• If you live in or near Chicago, there are free movies in the parks, free neighborhood and ethnic festivals, free beaches and parks (some with large spinklers for splashing in), a free zoo, the wonderful museums are not free, but you can check a membership pass out of the library and get in for free.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:35 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I'm assuming these are things for other children than your step son then...
    depending on ages you can, go to the park, the zoo (wed are half price day there and at six flags), we buy finger paints and lots of bubbles and let them have fun for a couple of hours at a time, you could play at the school's playground, go to the library (a lot of them have reading hour or something like that), gardening is fun and beneficial and I don't know a kid that doesn't love getting their hands dirty (we just put in a flower bed with the kids but it needs tending on a regular basis and they love watering it). Bird and butterfly watching, going for walks, bike riding, rollerrblading.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 4:35 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I think most movie theaters have summer programs for kids. The prices are much lower. I don't have any other ideas, sorry.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 4:50 PM on May. 9, 2009

• have you looked into memberships? the zoo can be fairly cheap depending on the size of the membership, we got it for dd, dh & I love ours..
    Look into your parks & recreation, there is stuff going on all the time that is usually free. Canoeing, hiking..... it all depends on where you live as well & what is around you..

Most of all dont forget in years to come its not where you went or how much money it cost, its the memory of what you did TOGETHER! Even staying at home & playing games can be unforgettable!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:51 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My girlfriends and I get a summer calender together and plan all our vacations at the same time so all the kids can be together. We take kids to library, free lunch, mcdonalds to play and eat, our movie theatre has a 10 for $5 deal so we do that, we go to zoos water parks aquariums whoever has a good deal we fight the crowds but it is worth it.. We pack our on lunches so we are not paying out the u-know-what for food. On Fridays, we do something at one our houses and provide the things for the kids. It works well for us and we get to spend alot of time together as well...
    iluvmymacita

Answer by iluvmymacita at 5:43 PM on May. 9, 2009

• depends on where you live but parks (always take a lunch) beach, hiking, state forests.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:55 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Parks, zoos, museums, library, beach, the movie theater (the one in my city has cheap movies once a week for the summer for kids). Depending on where you live, some of the museums have free admission days at the museum.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:43 PM on May. 9, 2009