Reading?

Just wondering about what age do the kids start actually paying attention to books as I read them. My 19m.o. likes to flip the pages as I read and I know it's normal for her not to be fully paying attention, but at what age do they start to sit down and wait for the story to actually finish instead of flipping pages constantly?

chela17

Asked by chela17 at 4:55 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Somewhere around 2. But just wait, because you will be asked to read the same story 100 times a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:42 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Depends on the kids. My oldest was 2, but my middle was 5. My youngest started reading at 4 So...it depends on the kid. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:43 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My son was around a year or so My daughter is 17 months and still won't sit still that long!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:50 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Instead of trying to read the story from start to finish try pointing to different things in the pictures or have her point. Say animal sounds talk about what they are doing etc. I am a start to finish kind of person (and it sounds like you may be as well) and it frustrates me to read part of a story and then stop so this helps me to stay interested and my son, who just turned 1, is way more interested in this and will actually sit for quite a while. Sometimes he will even let me read the book to him now. :-)
    LindsK

Answer by LindsK at 12:55 AM on May. 11, 2009