When did you start feeding your baby solids?

javiandjaysmom

Asked by javiandjaysmom at 4:56 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was 5 months old. We only did baby food for a couple weeks, then I started pureeing my own foods, and then by 6-7 months old she was eating what we ate.

p.s. I don't listen to doctors when it comes to stuff like that. Each and every one of them will have some different to say so who is right? Go with your gut. You know your baby better than anyone else. My daughter is 9 yrs old now and will eat ANYTHING. She's also 60 pounds so she is definitely not overweight like some people claim happens to kids ....starting solids early = obesity. Bullcrap. Eating crappy food = obesity.
    Anonymous

• a little bit of rice cereal in her bottles before bed every now and then starting at about 8-10 weeks? I think... Spoon feeding baby food at 3 1/2 months. Table food at 8 1/2 months.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 4:57 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against adding cereal to the bottle. You will find lots of moms who gave baby cereal in the bottle (for reflux, or because they wanted to) and their baby is now "fine". Just because their baby did not have a negative reaction does not mean that your baby won't. See Cereal in Bott http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:09 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Under my doctor's orders, we started cereals around 4 months. She had reflux and it helped ease her symptoms a little.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:10 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Thanks for your answers. M y son is almost 6 months now-at his last appt. his MD tarted him on rice cereal. I have now started to give some fruit and veggies but he doesn't go back to the doctor until the end June. It just seems like every doctor follows different guidelines. My nephew is only 2 months older and started eating cereal at 4 months. My understanding is that the food is not to provide much nutritional benefit. It is just to introduce them to different tastes and textures. I have heard that some people who wait too long have problems with the baby rejecting solids. Anyway I just hope I am doing what is best for DS. Thanks!
    javiandjaysmom

Answer by javiandjaysmom at 5:31 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I started cereal at 31\2 months because thats what my doctor told us to do and about 41\2-5 months we started baby food and went from there he's almost 9 months now and is eating what we eat( not per-choice he just went on protest of baby food so the doctor said it would be ok just nothing to spicy) if your doctor tells you it's ok then do it... if not talk to your doctor about it and see what they say... thats just my opinion
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 5:33 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I will tell you a secret about doctors: most of them don't know very much about nutrition.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I waited until my son was 6 months old and I will wait until my daughter is 6 months old. (four more months to go) I just felt better knowing that my son was a little older starting solids.
    tristin23

Answer by tristin23 at 6:25 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I fed my daughter cereal at 4months when her pediatrician told me to. I was suppose to start veggies at 6months but I waited until she was seven months.

Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 9:53 PM on May. 9, 2009