Reading?

Just wondering about what age do the kids start actually paying attention to books as I read them. My 19m.o. likes to flip the pages as I read and I know it's normal for her not to be fully paying attention, but at what age do they start to sit down and wait for the story to actually finish instead of flipping pages constantly?

chela17

Asked by chela17 at 4:56 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My dd started paying attention around 2 but I didn't read all the words on the longer books, I paraphrased because their attention spans are still really short. lol
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 4:57 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Thanks. I know she seems to just like to point out what is in the picture at this point not really what the story is about. So I count with her instead lol
    chela17

Answer by chela17 at 5:02 PM on May. 9, 2009

• and that's good, work with counting and colors and shapes at that age. She'll get more into books when her attention span is a little longer.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 5:05 PM on May. 9, 2009

• with my daughter, we looked at the pictures in books several times a day when she was an infant, and read very short sentences as she seemed interested in them. try talking about what she might think is happening in the story first, before you begin.
    if she hasnt yet understood that books tell a story, she will naturally be confused as to why you are 'saying' random words to her (you reading)
    some kids just love books, and will sit for an hour looking at books from an incredibly young age, some will take a little longer to love them, and a few will always resist, unfortunately.
    you know your child, you know what stage she is up to, just work with her, by the sound of it, you are doing just fine.
    --my daughter is now 6, and reading beautifully :)
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 5:22 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Check out your local library for story times. Most of them will provide days/hours to choose from and even divide the groups by age. Barnes and Nobles also has story time, but they aren't very organized here - maybe yours will have better luck.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 5:25 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I think it's different for each child. My DSS was sitting through an entire SHORT book at 18months. But my little brother (who also loves books) wasnt able to do that until he was like 24 months.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:27 PM on May. 9, 2009

• my son did it around 2. 2 1/2 he loves books, & loves pictures, soo it was hard for him to get the hang of sitting still & being quiet so i can read. But we do it every single night before bedtime, and hes getting the hang of picking up words now. He can "read" *as he calls it* A book about ants.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:14 PM on May. 9, 2009

• It was really early because I have been reading to her since she was two days old. The sound of my voice soothed her and she liked being read and still does, at the ages of two and three my girls know what the library is.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 8:32 AM on May. 10, 2009