Kids and Strattera

If your child takes strattera, how long did it take for the meds to work? My son started it this morning. They started him on 18 mg. It did nothing. I gave him a second one, yes I self medicated him, and still, not so much. He had been on concerta for about 5-6 years. But I think with his anxiety, the Strattera might work better. I just know with the concerta, we noticed it the first time he took it. He is supposed to be on 18 mg for a month. The 40 mg, which I think is too high of a jump. So then it's up to 25 mg. But hell, 18 mg did nothing!!

Buffie95

Asked by Buffie95 at 4:57 PM on May. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• you gave him one this morning and it didnt work so you gave him another one?? im not bashing but you have to understand-they are starting him out with that doseage and it needs time to get in his system. so if its not working yet, its because its not in his system and giving him another isnt going to get it in his system any quicker. it should be about a week or 2 before its fully in his system, until then you should only give him the amount that was perscribed by the dr. sorry but thats all you can do.
    Anonymous

• Does your son work with a therapist who works with people with ADD/ADHD to help them learn how to use this to their advantage? Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books at your local library; more information here: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Why would you give your son another pill because the first one didn't work? You aren't selfmedicating, you are overdosing him. It will take atleast 2 weeks to notice if the meds are working or not, his body needs to have a buildup of the meds in his system. Give him what he was prescribed when he is prescribed to take it. Follow what the doc ordered. With ADHD meds, it is like playing a game inorder to find out what meds work the best for your child. Just follow what the doc prescribed and don't give him extra.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:40 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Wow, ok, thanks. The freakin doctor did not tell me it would take time to build up. OK. I calle a pharmacist that told me that the starting dose is up to the prescribing doc. I know about 'playing a game in order to find.........this isn't the first med he's been on. He's almost 11 and has been on them since he was 3. HAD THE FREAKIN DOC DONE HIS DAMN JOB AND TOLD ME WHAT TO EXPECT, I WOULDN'T HAVE GIVEN HIM ANOTHER PILL. Geez, I should have known better then to think I'd actually get some advice and not be bashed. Thanks ladies.
    No, he doesn't have a therapist yet. We just moved here. I am fully aware that he needs one.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:06 AM on May. 10, 2009

• OP ~ I read your question, everyone's answers, and then your reply. I know having a child with ADHD and putting them on the right meds is really stressful. I wish your doctor had explained to you better about the effects of Strattera, too. Just always keep in mind that whatever the prescription states on the label is what you have to go by.
    My daughter was on Concerta for many years until she reached the 78mg dose and then her pupils were constantly dilated so her doctor finally changed her med. Strattera didn't work for her in the past. I refused to put her back on Ritalin. And Adderall wasn't really affective, either. She is on Vyvanse now (since 4/24) and seems to be fine, although the dose can be bumped up a bit.
    Her biggest problem is her ODD and at the age of 15 she is quite difficult to deal with.
    I wish you and your son all the best!
    Feel free to message me on my profile is you wish to chat.
    ~Karla~
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:44 PM on May. 11, 2009

• PLEASE CALL HIS DOC! Strattera can take 3 weeks to work!
    jalex

Answer by jalex at 8:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2010