When should you start talking to your child about sex?

If they don't have any questions and seem embarrassed should you continue to tell them what you think they need to know, or wait for them to come to you with questions?

javiandjaysmom

Asked by javiandjaysmom at 5:07 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• This is part of an ongoing conversation that starts practically at birth, by teaching your child the correct words for body parts and bodily functions. Always be on the lookout for teachable moments: a pregnant relative, a litter of puppies, etc. By the time she was 12, my daughter had a fairly good handle on reproduction, contraception, menstruation, staying in school, getting good grades, respecting your elders, and every other important life topic. Everything is inter-related.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:56 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Most kids from a early age have some sort of questions about sex...I say answer their questions as they come. Then have a big sex talk right before puberty. After that talk to them when the need arises

Answer by louise2 at 5:12 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Thanks- I just don't want to give him too much information until I see that he has more of an interest in girls but I don't want to wait until it is too late. I am very open and honest with him so I hope he would feel comfortable coming to me with questions. I also realize you can be misinformed by friends-I just want him to know the facts-thanks again.
    javiandjaysmom

Answer by javiandjaysmom at 5:21 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I would talk to them about it anyways.
    I never asked my mom a single question. For some reason i thought i was already supposed to know or that the school was teaching me enough already.
    I got pregnant and had an abortion (no bashing please) when i was 14. If my mom would've talked to me more about sex i feel pretty confident that that would've never happend.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:25 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I had a similar situation as a teen. I would have never felt comfortable approaching my parents with questions.I would never bash anyone for making that decision-it is a very difficult decision to make either way. I am a younger mom though so I think my son realizes that I am not ancient like my parents were-jk., and I have been through alot of the same things he is going through. I had him at 16- he is almost 13-I am just a little scared.
    javiandjaysmom

Answer by javiandjaysmom at 5:37 PM on May. 9, 2009

• That sounds like it may be helpful. When I sit him down to talk he just seems o embarrassed and I remember what it was like. I don't think he is getting much out of the conversation under those circumstances. thanks.
    javiandjaysmom

Answer by javiandjaysmom at 5:59 PM on May. 9, 2009