Does anyone else have a child with a peanut allergy? If so or even if you don't would you allow the child to have the procedure that allows them to get little bits of peanut butter until they can tolerate it???

Sorry that I do not no the name of the procedure.

Shelly922731

Asked by Shelly922731 at 5:28 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Are you provaccine? If you are, then i dont see any reason why you wouldnt do something like this. After all, that's what vaccines are SUPPOSED to do, more or less.

personally, i think that's a really hard choice. i'd want to learn all i could about the studies and the risks before i made up my mind. good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:32 PM on May. 9, 2009

• First I do not have a child with the allergy, but, I will tell you this. There is this little boy in Kindergarten where I work and he has a real bad allergy to peanuts. He is not allowed to eat in the cafeteria where someone may have some. He has to eat in the office alone.children in his class that like peanuts aren't allowed to bring them for snack. He has to be so careful and so do we. He cannot even smell them. So, I personally would let my child have the procedure as long as I knew everything there was to know about it..

Anonymous

• My son is only two but he spent two days in the ER with drugs being pumped into him and another two weks being watched at home. He was swollen from head to toe! Just so nervous thank you guys for your insight!
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 5:38 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I saw something on TV the other day about that. They said you have to do it under very controlled circumstances. My kids don't have food allergies, but if they did, I think I would let our Doctor try it.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:39 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I might, my son is not allergic to peanuts but he has other allergies and if this was avalible for them I would at least research it.
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 1:16 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I know they do the injections for lots of different substances if you are allergic. The trick is get the dosages right so as not to cause a severe reaction.
    These shots are not vacines. They provide a small exposure to a known allergen and allow your body to get used to it, thereby increasing your tolerance.
    Your allergist should be able to tell you what they recommend based on the severity of the allergy.
    I watched on TV that for peanut allergies they have been using a water mist in the mouth with very small amounts of peanut. I would think that would be better than shots.
    For food allergies that severly impact life I would definately consider the mist method. The needles could be a little more traumatic.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 9:28 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My son is allergic to peanuts. So far the only reaction we had was his eczema flaring up really bad. We have now removed all PB from our home and there is an epi-pen at home, with me, at gmas and at DC. I wish we had a study going on to introduce them to him to help him get over it. I wont do it on my own, well, I probably would, but DH wont and peanuts are not worth it. I think though, if he had swollen up or stopped breathing I would not be willing to do it w/out Drs. I still would with them though, He isn't really bad, but I hate for him to be that odd kid and I know I will constantly worry about him at school.
    GageWsMom

Answer by GageWsMom at 10:34 PM on May. 15, 2009