My 14 month old is in a bad habit of getting up once a night to drink a big bottle of milk, and then go back to sleep. I feel guilty because I am not home to put him to bed ( I work 1pm to 11pm). He should be sleeping through the night by now- this is just a bad habit of his and mine, right? Any suggestions?

mommyof3xy

Asked by mommyof3xy at 5:35 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dont give him the milk. Give him water. If he starts to throw a fit tell him he has 2 choices. He can either go back to bed with no drink, OR he can have the glass of water. If he still throws a fit let him. ...be consistant. you will probably have to do this at least 3 times before he gets the point.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:37 PM on May. 9, 2009

• What time is he getting up? Is it right when you get home? Is it interfering with your sleep? If not, don't worry about it. It may be the schedule he is on. He won't be doing it for ever. If it bothers you stop giving it to him, if it doesn't don't worry about it, so long as he isn't laying down with the bottle.
    Good luck.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:42 PM on May. 9, 2009

• the only reason why i disagree with Susie is because drinking or eating anything other then water past dinner time is not a healthy food choice. So, you're teaching bad habits. Also, milk has sugar in it which is obviously bad for his teeth.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:43 PM on May. 9, 2009

• He should only be having water at night; in fact he doesn't need milk at all, as long as he is eating good fats and lots of plant based protein and calcium.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:44 PM on May. 9, 2009

• this is a phase. my son went through it at 16 months. what i did was just get him, bring him into the living room, we'd cuddle on the couch and watch a 15 minute educational show, then i'd put him back to bed. if he cried, i'd let him cry for about 20 minutes, then do it again. put him back to bed. the first couple nights i did it 3 times a night, then it went down to twice a night, then once, and then finally he stopped and just slept through. it was aggrivating, i was so tired, i was 9 months pregnant, i was actually due any day, cuz she decided to be a freakin week late. but this will pass momma! just be consistant with whatever you decide to do
    Anonymous

• OL: I totally agree with not giving into laying a baby down with a bottle. But, you are talking about a toddler who is able to sit up and drink. Also, not all babies get rotten teeth. My kids all had milk in their bottles and have good teeth because I brushed them for the kids.
    My thinking, is that the OP and babe are on a different schedule and maybe it is "mommy time"?? when the bottle is happening. If so, I wouldn't give that up.
    BUT that said, I do almost everything against the grain of society so...go figure.
    Do what you want mommy if it is not harming the baby.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:49 PM on May. 9, 2009

• try changing diaper, and giving them a pacifier over a bottle.. my dd wakes up, and just wants y something to suck on and does't really care if it's a bottle or her pacifier.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:12 PM on May. 9, 2009

• It is a bad habit but don't feel bad, your not alone. My 2 and 5 year old normally wake up once sometime twice a night. But I give the a sip of water. Their fine and right back to sleep right after that. I think that he's too big now for the passy , and maybe you could try the sippy cup. I hope this answer was helpful : )
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 9:50 PM on May. 9, 2009