What's your legacy you are passing down to your children?

A legacy is anything that has to do with your tradition or values.For me I'm teaching my daughter early on to pray to Jesus,in a honest, sincere way.I'm teaching her that she is a sinner and she needs Jesus everyday to help her be a good person.Sometimes I forget to pray with her or ask her to pray, so it's a serious subject that needs alot of discipline and respect.

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 5:36 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I hope the legacy I am teaching them is compassion for all living things. My kids are all very interested in nature and I try to encourage that, and to explain that it's very important that we do not harm other living creatures. I also hope I am teaching them to act mindfully- that our actions have consequences for ourselves and others, so it's a good idea to put thought and consideration into our actions.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:44 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I'm teaching mine that it is important to be open-minded. I ask them if they'd like to join me in my practice and sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. And when they ask a direct question, like where to people go when they die, i tell them "well, some ppl think she went to heave and other ppl think she's a spirit, and other ppl think that she'll come back as another person. Lots of different ppl believe different things".
    I'm not only teaching tolerance, i'm teaching acceptance.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:40 PM on May. 9, 2009

• To think for himself.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 5:48 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I am teaching my children as outstandinglove is teaching hers....my legacy to the with be tolerance and open mindedness.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:54 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I'm teaching tolerance and love and caring of all living things. I am teaching that violence is never the answer and that we all belong to each other.
    I have to ask, though, telling your dd she is a sinner....that sounds so harsh. IDK, I guess because it is such a negative connation to give to a child, I don't really understand it. Well, I understand it from the religious POV, but beyond that I don't.

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:57 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Compassion for others. I want them to enjoy their journey without fearing guilt for not doing what others say is right but to follow their heart instead.

I want to teach them the importance of family but also the importance of standing up for themselves.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:02 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Peace, love, acceptance, hope, patience, respect, spirituality, open mindedness, and much more. My ultimate goal is to lead by example for all of those things. I want to make sure she is able to understand equality and unity for all as well. Our family is very very diverse so I am sure she will definitely not have trouble understanding how diverse the world is. :)

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:44 PM on May. 9, 2009