How many of you are pumping your milk rather than straight up breastfeeding?

I have to pump. My daughter hates my nipples and refuses to latch on. I think pumping is quicker and easier LOL.

Btw my girl is 2weeks old and very alert

MissKellee

Asked by MissKellee at 5:49 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my daughter was born, i found feeding very painful, as my daughter didnt latch correctly, so i pumped for around 2 months.
    but i soon got sick of having all the negative aspects of BOTH forms of feeding-washing, sterilizing, making sure i had bottles prepared plus leaking, that one day i just thought id give breastfeeding directly a go, and i was able to feed without pain from then on!
    it was great, and i ended up nursing her for 14 months.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 6:16 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I am right now because she tore the heck out of my nipples! there is a HOLE I kid you not a HOLE in one and just really worn and open on the other. I'm pumping right now to let them heal but I plan of getting some help and BFing so I can stop washing out all the stupid bottles and pump lol. Plus my LO prefers the boob and i am having a harder and harder time getting her to take the bottle.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:19 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I am not currently, but I had to do this with my first child. She had the same issue. I pumped and gave bottles for 3 1/2 months until stress and depression took its tole, and I ran out of milk. The pump didn't do as good of a job at keeping my supply up. In hindsight, I wish I had gone to the lactation consult or to a breastfeeding suppot group to learn how to get my baby to latch properly. Nursing is so much easier at night than pumping. I felt left out a lot when we were out and I had to leave the room to pump while others were cuddling my baby. I hope things continue to work out for you. Breast milk is so good for your baby. Keep it up as long as possible.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 6:34 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I plan to pump from day one (due at the end of July), since I'll be going back to work immediately (just got a new job and won't qualify for maternity leave, thankfully it's parts time), plus I want my hubby to be able to do some night feeding from day one to help bond with the baby.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 6:41 PM on May. 9, 2009

• aww I didn't even know you had your baby congrats. but to answer your question no, pumping never worked for me!
    Anonymous

• I pumped and fed exclusively for my first until she was about 6 months old and I ended up losing my supply because I started supplementing because of time restraints on pumping at work. I just liked knowing how much she was getting because she was a small baby and had some eating troubles.

With my second, I pumped and fed again for about 2 months before switching to the breast. She is 4 months now and nursing has been going great. It is an accomplishment to know she has never had formula. For me it is a lot less time consuming to be successfully nursing rather than spending 2 1/2 hours a day on the pump and god only knows how much time feeding her on top of it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:29 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I only BF for the first day and half after my DD was born. It was EXTREMELY painful. The lactation lady told me she was latching on correctly and it shouldn't hurt... so we never figured out why it did but OH MY WORD it was horrible. I couldn't even breathe. So I pumped for about 3 1/2 weeks and then we moved her to formula....
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:21 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Keep trying. It will get better.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:22 PM on May. 9, 2009

• ive been pumping for 5 weeks now, she latched on at first, but she was tongue tied and couldn't get the hang of it. we had her tongue "snipped" so I tried the breast again, but she was used to the bottle already (that was a two week non stop battle with the boob!) I pump 4 times a day, i feel like my milk is decreasing, and I have to supplement with formula at night. so far so good, but i dont know how long I can keep the pumping up..its alot of work and alot of time, but breast is best so I'll plug away!
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 9:46 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Please see a lactation consultant as soon as you can! If you don't know of one, do a search under La Leche League for your area. Like so many of these ladies have said, the pump is not as effective as the baby is for getting the milk out and keeping your supply up. A lactation consultant can help you get the baby latched on correctly. I have had some pain with both of my kids at first, but it goes away. Pumping is good as a last option, but it will become very tiring to have to keep doing the pumping, cleaning, and then still feed the baby.
    caemommy

Answer by caemommy at 3:57 PM on May. 10, 2009