Disciplining the 15 mo. old

It seems that since today is his 15 month "birthday", he is going to show his ass. He is refusing to take a nap... has discovered that ANYTHING can be climbed upon (even the dining room table, the pantry... the entertainment center)... has this strange obsession with wanting to sit on his baby brother's head... and wants to yell and scream all day. I tried time out when he was climbing in the pantry (he could get hurt... and he did, when he fell out onto the concrete floor and landed on his head)... time out isnt working. He doesn't get it. Popping his hand when he reaches for electrical outlets, also not working.
How do you discipline your baby? Right now I'm forcing a nap on him - he's in his crib screaming and will stay there until I get my nerves back under control.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your doing every right. Don't worry, its just a phase. : ) You really should try the "MOMMY MEANS IT" voice, don't yell, just put sternness into it and pop his little hands. We cant be there for every single boo boo. They will happen no matter what. Placing him in his bed as time out is a good idea. At his age its a sensible timeout. Just keep your cool, and stay strong. Good luck, & things will get better.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 9:28 PM on May. 9, 2009

• He is to young for the time out thing. Like I told my DD..You need to keep an eye on him..so when he starts doing things..You can stop him.

Answer by louise2 at 6:10 PM on May. 9, 2009

• When my 14months old son (who is also in his daredevil stage) does something he is not allowed, I or my hubby get down to his level and tell him in a stern voice (not yelling)that he is not allowed to do that. then he goes and sits in his chair for 1 minute (and he is usually crying bc he knows he is in trouble) and then we go back and tell him that it isn't safe/nice and give him a hug and tell him that we love him....and YES IT DOES WORK...you just have to be consistent!!
    Svarne

Answer by Svarne at 7:07 PM on May. 9, 2009

• You can try baby time outs; hold him immobile in your lap, and count softly and slowly backward from 20. You can also put his favorite toy (or blanket or whatever) in a closet for 10 minutes.
    Mostly, you have to watch them every second.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I agree with Svarne. Consistency is the key!!! And you will have to tell him the same things over and over. He is too young to be able to remember rules for long periods of time and will not be able to for quite a while. Set clear rules that everyone in your house follows. When he breaks the rules make sure that you all do the same things to enforce them. With my son who just turned 1 we take him from what he is doing, tell him why he can not do it and then take him to his toys to play. Once he gets a little older we will implement time out. We also have safety things in place to keep him safe since we can't be there to see everything he does.
    LindsK

Answer by LindsK at 12:49 AM on May. 11, 2009