Do you think that police officers should be required to patrol our children's schools?

My son has told me about a recent incident at his middle school were the police had to get involved & arresst one of his clas mates. On a seperate occassion last year a knife was found in a child's bookbag on the way to school. I fear for my sons safety just as any other mom. Do you think they should have police and metal detectors in a middle school? elementary school? or is this going too far?

javiandjaysmom

Asked by javiandjaysmom at 6:05 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Um no. They're children, not criminals. And for the children who ARE criminals, well THEY should be dealt with accordingly. All of the children shouldn't have to suffer and live in fear because of the actions of a few.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:31 PM on May. 9, 2009

• We already have that here in SC, and I approve. The officers get to know they students and the students get to know the officers. They are called Resource Officers.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 6:10 PM on May. 9, 2009

• why not you can never be to safe these days,
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 6:12 PM on May. 9, 2009

• If they found a knife in a back-pack, it's not going too far to have metal detectors. What's going on in the world? When my kids were in school, these weren't even thought about. No knives, no guns...nobody beat up a teacher. What the hell is going on?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:12 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Again, if they want to act like adults, they need to start being treated like adults.

HELL YEAH, metal detectors, drug sniffing dogs...whatever it takes to control CRIMINAL behavior in a public school !!!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 6:15 PM on May. 9, 2009

• No I do not think metal detectors and police officers are going too far. In my middle school here in Indiana, we always had at least 2 police officers patrolling at all times. Drastic times call for drastic measures, and middle school aged children having knives in their backpacks (outrageous that this is even an issue) is one of those times I would say.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:16 PM on May. 9, 2009

• These days, yes.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 7:35 PM on May. 9, 2009

• To the previous poster, isn't this a good way for children to learn not to fear the police? If they are familiar with them, it makes it easier for them to approach an officer if they know them.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 7:37 PM on May. 9, 2009

• That was to Baismom, lol.
    gludwig2000

• Well, for starters, I know what is in my boys backpacks when they get on the bus.

What kind of knive did they find? Was it a little small pocketknife of a do some damage butcher knife? I remember being a kid and boys carried pocket knives, of course they didn't threaten people with them though!

I think police officers are needed in some schools and that is a very sad state of affairs. Kids will be in charge someday and it scares me to think of what it might be like when I am old.

Putting police officers in our local schools though would be a waste of valuable resources. Thankfully, as a small conservative town we are still a bit insulated.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:47 PM on May. 9, 2009