• In the Spotlight:

my son had jaundice, he is 3 weeks now and still looks yellow!

the corner of his eyes especially. some days they are normal and then the next they look yellow. is this normal? should I be concerned?

momsince01

Asked by momsince01 at 6:06 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call the doctor it is worth being checked into. If you are in a sunny area let him sit by the window during peak hours. we did this and it went away for jason in a week maybe...
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 6:09 PM on May. 9, 2009

• yeah open the windows and keep the sun on him, it should help. if it doesn't help then you need to call the doc.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:14 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i agree with the other moms! my cousin had it as a baby and my aunt sat her in the sun by the window! not for too long in one day! maybe 30 min 3 times a day!
    KimberlyAnn85

Answer by KimberlyAnn85 at 8:00 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I agree with the other moms. Check with his doctor. My daughter had it when she was born. We had to put her in the sun a couple of times a day plus went to the doctor every week for blood work until the count was at a safe level.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 9:44 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Check with his Doctor, but I wouldn't worry to much. My son had Jaundice when he was born and even had to sit under the lights for 2 days. He was a little yellow for 2 months after we got home from the hospital. People kept commenting on what a beautiful skin tone he had and how he looked kind of tan, I would always laugh and say thanks but it's not a tan it's jaundice. I don't think some people knew what jaundice was because after they would give me a really scared look and get really quiet. LOL After that I stopped correcting them and just replied "yeah I know it's beautiful isn't it.". Don't worry to much, in a couple of weeks they will usually do another blood test to make sure it's gone down, if your worried they'll do it sooner. Just know that jaundice is really common. You'll know when it's kind of clearing out of their systems because their eyes get yellowish and then it disappears.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 10:20 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Sorry I was cut off. Anyways yeah just thought I'd give you a heads up with the eye thing because it really scared me at first and then I found out it's normal. Also are you breastfeeding or formula feeding if you don't mind me asking. Breastfed babies tend to have the yellowish skin for a little longer, I think that's why my son had it for 2 months, but don't worry it's normal. Oh and one more thing, do you happen to know your sons bilirubin level ? My sons was 14 and they said it was still in the safe range, I think it has to get up to like 22 or something before they consider it a dangerous range. I hope this helped a little, good luck with your little tan man, and the other posters are right it's a good idea to get him in a little sun light but don't do over 10 minutes at a time because a newborns skin is very sensitive and you don't want him to end up with a sun burn.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 10:28 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I so wouldnt worry unless it starts getting worse like bad my son was yellow for the first 3 months or so i bf him and it more common to see in them for that long. put him in front of the window for 15 min a day that helps alot!
    Ilovemyson51508

Answer by Ilovemyson51508 at 11:35 PM on May. 9, 2009