my 9 year old has a girlfriend

and lately she hasen't played outside with him and he has been upset about it how do i talk to him about it?

angeleyez420

Asked by angeleyez420 at 6:11 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Depends on your concern. Are you concerned that he has a girlfriend or that someone doesn't want to play with him anymore?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:13 PM on May. 9, 2009

• yeah but also let him know that sometime stuff like that happens i told him he was still to young for a girlfriend anywas
    angeleyez420

Answer by angeleyez420 at 6:16 PM on May. 9, 2009

• What does the word girlfriend mean to a 9 year old?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 PM on May. 9, 2009

• maybe she is grounded and can't come outside. Tell him to be patient. She'll be back out soon enough.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:12 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yes, I'd talk to him... it's never to early to see what they thing about GF and for you to start telling him what you expect from him later, etc. And yes, maybe her not coming out has nothing with him.

And then I'd just get him involved in other things - invite other friends over, go to a park, etc.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 4:12 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Let him know that this will happen a few times within the next 20 years....lol! It's a good lesson to learn. It's nice to know that your son cares though. He'll probably make a great husband some day. Girls are complicated, they like you one second, then change their minds. Maybe suggest to him that they can just be friends so no one will get their feelings hurt if the other doesn't come out to play.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:21 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I explained to my son recently that the ONE boy that I remember most when I was a tween/teen/brat was the boy that I never dated! He was my best "boy" friend! He is still my friend! He was always there for me, and he truly loves me, even though we have never held hands.

He was a wonderful boy, and a better man, because he was never my boyfriend.

I really think that made my son look at his relationships with his friends differently. I (kinda) watched this weekend to see how that was going, and he was treating the girls, well not off handed but more 'equal' to his guy friends. The girls were acting differently as well. They were wanting to be on his team more, ya know--am I making sense.?!
    malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 11:25 PM on May. 11, 2009