When should I tell my parents?

I'm not very far along in my pregnancy, and have not told my parents yet. This is partially because I'm nervous (I'm 23, and I KNOW my parents think that's too young... even tho my mom was 22 w/ me), and partially cos I'm waiting to have a few more doctor's visits under my belt. My SO and I are going to be home for Mothers Day.. should I tell them, or wait and let it be my mom's day?

guitarlove

Asked by guitarlove at 6:16 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This was an issue with me as well. I am 21 and found out I was pregnant right before Christmas. My parents are verrry strict and I knew that this news would absolutely crush them. Well I decided to wait until after Christmas to tell them because I didn't want to ruin Christmas. Then was New Year's so of course I had to put it off some more. AND THEN it was my dad's birthday, so of course I couldn't ruin his bday like that. So I ended up waiting till the middle of January to tell them. By then I was already about 10 weeks along. If I was you, I would wait until after Mother's Day. Not to say that news would ruin Mother's Day but in my opinion it is never a good idea to start a possible arguement on a holiday. However I would tell your parents as soon as possible. The longer I waited to tell mine, the harder it was to finally get the courage to. Trust me, they won't be as mad as you think. Mine weren't.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:20 PM on May. 9, 2009

• it depends how long you can wait...do you have patience? you can tell them when you're 3 months pregnant. but, actually Mother's Day sounds like a really nice time to tell your mom she's going to be a GRANDMA! Hopefully she'll react kindly to you. Good luck. Hope your parents are understanding.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:25 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I think they will be excited once they get over the shock.. my mom's not above bugging my older brothers for grandkids, but when it's their only girl...
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 6:26 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Try them maybe they will take it better than you ever would guessed. You do not want be stressed about it all day either.
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 6:56 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i would wait until you are at least 12 weeks.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 7:01 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i would tell them and get it over with,.. soon or later they gonna know so why stress it and hide it.. there nothung they can do but to get happy for you or mad...
    good luck
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 7:40 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Your 23 hunny, you are old enough now, your an adult. Tell them and don't be afraid, be proud! Motherhood is wonderful and if they can't be happy for you, then shame on them. Congrats!
    navyma23

Answer by navyma23 at 8:18 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i think your mom will be understanding. i told my mom when i was about 2 1/2 months (10 weeks)
    amberwriteslove

Answer by amberwriteslove at 10:46 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Thanks for sll the answers :) Hopefully I make up my mind before tomorrow!
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 12:26 AM on May. 10, 2009

• i am 21 and pregnant with my second (had my first at 19) i just told my parents too and for some reason i was more afraid to tell them the second time, dunno y, but they werent mad, dont be worried they are your parents they will love u no matter what.
    bradynsmom222

Answer by bradynsmom222 at 2:21 PM on May. 10, 2009