At what age can you start putting rice cereal in your baby's bottle to help them sleep through the night?

I couldn't remember if it is at 2 months when you can add cereal to thier bottles to help them sleep through the night.

mindyf12

Asked by mindyf12 at 6:17 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "Encouraging a baby to sleep too deeply, too soon, may not be in the best survival or developmental interest of the baby. This is why new parents, vulnerable to sleep trainers' claims of getting their baby to sleep through the night, should not feel pressured to get their baby to sleep too long, too deeply, too soon. "

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp

Take the time to read this, babies sleep when they are ready. Cereal is a not good for babies, there is a reason that the guidlines have changed in the last few years. Your baby is only 2 months old, give it time.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:56 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Some people will tell you never some will say 1 week. It's really up to you and your dr.
    Anonymous

• thats a myth. they'll either sleep thru the night or they won't. I wouldn't do it. but thats me.
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 6:36 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I've been doing it since my daughter was 3 weeks old and she's been fine. Most docs will tell you not to, but you know what? If it works for you and your child, do it. Doctors only tell you what they're paid to tell you lol. But seriously, if he or she likes it and takes to it, go for it. It doesn't really help mine sleep through the night, but it does keep her asleep for longer periods.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 6:42 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I would say never it can clump up and they can choke.
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 6:51 PM on May. 9, 2009

• it never works well. it clogs the bottle. plus rice cereal has nothing to do with a baby sleeping. don't introduce solids until between 5 and 7 months. (unless your child has diagnosed GERD or some other medical condition)
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 7:00 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Different things work for different people; just because it doesn't work for one child doesn't make it untrue or impossible...

Usually around 3 mos is ok; some Dr's discourage it but I've never had one say it will cause any harm...what has your Dr said?

What I did was: for their night bottle give them 4 oz of formula with 1 (full) TBL of rice cereal in it. Let them drink that; and then let give them a straight 8oz bottle of formula; and let them drink as much or as little as they needed; burped; rocked and off to bed. Went to bed between 7-8PM; awake between 7-8AM; both girls same thing...

Neither have had any adverse effects; both were small when born so 'fattening them up' wasn't really a concern for me; weight gain was good...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:02 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Most Drs will tell you to never, ever put cereal in bottles. It isn't true that it will help them sleep longer or better. It will, however, increases the risk of obesity, diabetes, allergies, etc. I think if it were me, I'd opt for taking the advise from Drs over the advise of other moms.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:03 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Unless for medical reasons the babys dr tells you to do that then I wouldnt, its not safe to put cereal in your babys bottle they can aspirate it and choke on it, cereal should never be given unless by a bowl and spoon, also giving your baby cereal has absolutely NOTHING to do with them sleeping longer at night that is a developmental milestone that they will reach when ready and ANY doctor will tell you the same thing

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 7:05 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Actually - Not ANY Dr will tell you the same thing...but you believe what you like...

Oh and 8 aunts & uncles; plus a mother; myself; a sister; and my two children ALL discount every obesity; diabetes; food allergy; etc claim...

Talk over you decisions with your Dr and do your own research then do what feels right for you and your family...it's soo aggravating when people think they know best for everyone!

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:32 PM on May. 9, 2009