17 month old not talking

my dd is 17 months old and has only said basics like ma and da. she says hello or hi and waves bye bye...the only word she says absolutely clear is cheese and thats if she wants to when we take a pic... she says a few more words nothing extraordinary... however my dilema is she shows no interest in talking she does babble all day long and when I tell her what something is or if I try and tell her to say it she throws a fit... I dont want to traumatize her nto talking but what else can I do...please help need as many ansers as possible her ped is already talking about early itervention I dont want that...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 17 months, most children use 6 words regularly, so I would say she is pretty much on track. Here is a milestone chart I found online that might be helpful to you.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-13-to-18-months_1496589.bc
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:31 PM on May. 9, 2009

• her ped says she should know at least 15-20 and putting small sentences together like "mama juice" I know every kid is different but she barely says anything....just frustrated I guess
    Anonymous

• I would definately have her ears checked if your concerned. My dd was a late talker and I just thought it was because she wasn't ready. We finally took her to an ENT and they said her ears were full of fluid and that was what was causing her speech delay. My dd was a little further behind than yours though. She was saying maybe 10 words at age 3.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 6:39 PM on May. 9, 2009

• thanks I was thinking about it also. thats the same thing I think...I beliece its her eyes I'm gonna make an appt. monday thanks...
    Anonymous

• It is normal. Enjoy the babbling while you can. Soon she will be running her mouth non stop. My lil sister was the same way. At 3 years old now, you'd swear she was 21. Sassy, classy, and prissy. Believe me, enjoy the babble. But keep putting words out there for her. Don't force them on her, but introduce them to her. Like giving her options. Ask her which she wants for lunch "Would you like chicken nuggets or do you want Spaghetti ?"--Repeat the words a few times. This will be giving her the chance of saying which she wants. Good luck : )
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 9:39 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Sadira29, being as nice as I can, how in the heck did your pediatricians not catch on to this sooner? 10 words at the age of 3 should have been caught onto way before that. Did your pediatrician never check her ears or what ? If you were taking her to the pediatrician, why didn't you bring this up to them as a concern or get a 2nd opinion ?
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 9:45 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I would definitely get her checked out. Most kids that age should be saying a lot more than that so your dr will probably want to check for any hearing issues or delays like autism. Sorry, don't want to freak you out but the earlier you get intervention for these issues the better. By that age kids are usually stringing together simple sentences.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:32 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Kids don't speak clearly for years. Truly! Many 5 and 6 year olds still have trouble with several letter sounds, including r, s, and l. In the toddler years, kids will use sounds they can make in place of ones they can't, they will drop the beginning of words, they will drop the ends of words, they will make up their own sound for words. "ooee" for cookie, "me" for milk, even "dee" for balloon.
    As for using words, phrases, and sentences:
    By 18 months (still a month away) kids should have 10 to 20 words. Some perfectly normal kids won't have any, some will have far more.
    By 24 months, kids will be starting to use 2 word phrases... more cookies.
    By 30 months, kids will be using 4 to 5 word sentences and mom can understand 75% of what is said.
    By 36 months, kids will be having conversations and mom can understand 90% of what is said.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My pedi said at my son's 18 month check up that he should be saying 4-10 words. Which your child is already doing. I know some recommend a little more, but it sounds like yours is expecting too much out of your child. The recommendation that you mentioned sounds more geared to a 24 month old to me. Your child sounds right on track.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:07 AM on May. 11, 2009