How do you make your teen confident and happy with their appearance when the media tells us we should all be thin and beautiful?

javiandjaysmom

Asked by javiandjaysmom at 6:33 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Maybe you can do activities together.play soccer, basketball, etc.Show him that exercise is fun.Maybe buy healthy foods to.Tell him we want to be strong and fit.Try not to diet or talk about your weight in front of him.Be there for him when he wants to talk about it.
    Anonymous

• Make a list of other qualities that they have and leave it for them in a note! Tell them that beauty is only skin deep.
    Anonymous

• My son is concerned about his weight. I am probably not a good role model as I have tried crash dieting myself and also am probably overly concerned about my weight. I want to show him that it isn't that important, but I also want him to be healthy. I don't want him to be teased- he is short and has been teased about that-there is nothing he can do to change it. I guess kids are just cruel and he needs to ignore it.
    javiandjaysmom

Answer by javiandjaysmom at 6:42 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Instead of regular PE, this year my daughter (in 8th grade, in a 6 year HS program) took dance. She has always been a lttle chubby and awkward and is the opposite of athletic. This year of dance has been truly amazing for her: she has developed beautiful posture, great muscle tone, and so much confidence. At the school dance concert last week, she was 1/4 beat off through the entire piece, but it didn't matter to anyone.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:42 PM on May. 9, 2009