What should I do about my mother in law

I've been with my husband since we were 15 and for the first 4 years of dating his mother and I were really close. He has taken care of his mom his whole life like she was the child or something. He did everything for her and if he didn't she was mad at him. We even lived with her until we got married because she didn't want him to move out. Once we got married and moved out she started acting like I was the devil. I would be over at her house helping her do stuff during the week ( cooking for her and cleaning her messes) and I would walk in on her talking badly about me on the phone to someone else. She's even gotten so many different drugs from her doctor for pain that she cant even control herself anymore. She's totaled her car and gotten a DUI and Fallen down a flight of stairs and was hospitalized. I've been the one to take care of her whenever she gets sick or hurt, even through 2 pregnancy's. continued.......

Trish324

Asked by Trish324 at 6:41 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• She promised to through me a baby shower with my 1st daughter but when the day came there was nothing and her excuse was that she forgot all about it. She wouldn't even show up at my second baby shower because she said that my mom was rude to her when she invited her. Anyway's, a few weeks ago she wrote me a letter telling me that I stole her son from her and because of me she now has nothing. She was accusing me of STEALING HER son from her and I think that is a little bit weird but the weirdest part of it was that when my husband asked her why she wrote the letter she denied it all together even though it was from her email address and she signed it. What should I do? She treats me like I'm her enemy but I'm just trying hard to be a part of her family. I try to do whatever I can to help but its never good enough for her. Should I try to talk to her about it or not talk to her anymore at all? sorry so long!!!
    Trish324

Answer by Trish324 at 6:50 PM on May. 9, 2009

• haha totally sounds like mil....however it was my husbands grandma who wrote 3 letters to my hubby talking badly about me and his mom has told him to get rid of me. haha well we haven't talked to them since && honestly it has been great...theres no more drama no more tryiing to talk to the family when they give me the cold shoulder...and our marriage has improved leaps and bounds....its a shame they won't be able to watch their 2 grandchilden grow up...but she has had plenty of times to try and fix this.

honestly...i would forgot her...not worth the stress
    Anonymous

• The only thing that can be done is for your husband to cut his apron strings.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

• No I do not think you need to talk to her about it. This is her own personal issue that she needs to deal with. It sounds to me like she is having a hard time letting go of her son. But ultimately she needs to realize that SHE is the parent and even though she might have needed her son for things, he is her CHILD not her husband or father. She needs to grow up and cut the cord. Her irresponsibilty is also signs of severe immaturity. I've never heard of a mother "rebelling" when her child is grown and goes out on their own. I would just leave it alone. You did nothing wrong and I don't think talking to her is going to do any good. If anything have your husband talk to her and tell her to stop causing problems. Maybe if she realizes she's hurting her son too she'd stop. Who knows though, she seems very childish and selfish. Good luck with that one. There are some crazies out there huh.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:59 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I don't think you should talk to her about the letter. I would suggest talking to your husband -let him know how you feel about her treatment of you. He should sit his mom down and talk to her, tell her you did NOT 'steal' him from her, that you are his wife and she should treat you with respect. I wonder if your husband should talk to her doctor... if she is taking so much medication it could be causing her to do/say things and her not remember it later. If she has not seen a doctor or had a checkup, it might be a good idea-- to rule out any health problems.
    I hope that things work out between you and her-- and she realize just what a wonderful daughter in law you are to her!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:31 PM on May. 9, 2009

• she might have dementia (might have spelled that wrong) or she might be senile or have some health problem. that's why i hate old ppl (lol) i'll probably kill myself when i turn 65.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:57 AM on May. 10, 2009

• does your first sentence say you dated his mother for 4 years or did you forget a comma?
    """for the first 4 years of dating his mother and I were really close."""""
    bettyboob83

Answer by bettyboob83 at 5:48 AM on May. 10, 2009

• my mother in law is the exact same way, I hate her, shes always inventing crap about us, and she started telling her whole family that she took my husband out of jail which isnt even true he never even went to jail ever in his life, but since we havent spoken to them in 2 years they start making shit up to get credit so they can seem like the victims.
    bettyboob83

Answer by bettyboob83 at 5:54 AM on May. 10, 2009