How Do You Feel About Mom's Who Don't Bother to BF?

I've seen a lot of stuff about BF here lately and how people get all pissy when a mother admits to not even giving it a try. We all know that some people just aren't comfortable doing it and I think we should leave it at that. I DID try, but honestly, it felt dirty to me 'cause I couldn't get use to my boobs being used for food instead of a sexual turn-on, so I stopped. I've been told I'm wrong for this.
What do you think about people who are like me or who haven't even tried to BF their child and do you really feel like you have the right to tell anyone they are wrong?

rockinmom82

Asked by rockinmom82 at 6:43 PM on May. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think all women do what's best for their babies. If you choose not to BF, then that's fine. If you breastfed you would be uncomfortable and so would the baby. You'll have a better bond feeding with a bottle because neither of you will be stressed!
    Anonymous

• To each there own. Everyone can do there own research on the issues and decide what is best for them. Although I feel breast is best, I have been in the boat where I only nursed for 4 months because I just hated every second of it but with my first baby I nursed until he weaned himself and was totally devestated when he did that cause I was not ready.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:49 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I don't think you are wrong...at least you tried. It's those who don't even bother to try breastfeeding at all because they think of breasts as something sexual, instead of what they really are, that bothers me.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:50 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i think its sad that we live in a society that pressures women to see themselves as sexual beings first and foremost. i also thing that that formula companies spend an awful lot of time and money reinforcing the belief that the two are equal with regards to their nutritional value, and make it seem that breastfeeding is hard/dirty/embarrassing/will ruin your body/ect.
    i dont feel badly toward women for bottle feeding, after all they are a product of their environment.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 6:56 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I don't think anything of any one's parenting based on the fact if they BFed or not. The most important thing is that mothers do what they feel is best so that they can be the best for their children.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i dont put anyone down but i always say atleast try it. if someone decides to formula feed atleast they are feeding the child.
    2cuddlebabies

Answer by 2cuddlebabies at 6:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Women have a right to choose whatever way they want to feed their baby..I never gave it a thought.. Their was know way I was going to have a kid latched on to my tits for 6 months to a year. Never getting a break.

Answer by louise2 at 6:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

• It's not my place to judge what another women does with her body and her children.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 8:23 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i think its a little selfish myself
    Anonymous

• I think that you gave it a try and that is more than some babies get. I am happy to hear that you tried! What you decided after that is not anyone's concern. I feel sad for the people who never try at all, they just go straight to the bottle. It has nothing to do with the whole 'breast is best' thing for me though. It is purely based on the fact that I enjoyed my breast feeding time with my children so much that I feel like if a mother never tries it at all she may be missing something that could be so wonderful. I understand that a baby can be fed, loved and nurtured just as much on a bottle. You did what was best for you and your child and that is all that matters. If breastfeeding was uncomfortable for you, your baby could probably sense it and is just as happy as you about the bottle.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:33 PM on May. 9, 2009