Is someone with Asperger's capable of making friends and dating???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes of course. This is a ridiculous question!

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:00 PM on May. 9, 2009

• One of our best dog trainers has Aspergers. She's about 26. She's never dated and only last year got her own apartment. She's extremely intelligent, very focused in her passion to dogs. But I'm sure you know this personality. She DOES have friends, but it takes awhile before she'd consider you one....it's about her comfort zone. Dating? She say's she'd like to, but hasn't yet.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:01 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yes, it would probably just take more work on the other person's end. They'd have to be more patient and understanding than normal.
    Anonymous

• Yes. My son is an Aspie. He has 2 'best' friends (1 of them is an aspie), and he has a few casual friends. As for dating - my son is not old enough- and currently tells me he is not going to date, or get married and have kids-- cause it costs money!! Lol-- I imagine if he finds the right girl he will change his mind awful fast!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:14 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My 18yo so has Aspergers (fairly mild form though it wasn't always so), not that anyone who doesn't REALLY know him would notice and those who do just know his "quirks". He's an A/B student who is NOT in any special classes, he plays football & runs track, he's in drama, he has volunteered for 4 summers in a rrow at a summer water program for students who are in between the 7th and 8th grades and this year will be teaching a class since he's almost 19 and he's going to be going in to the National Guard after high school and then in to college for a degree in Computer Science and then he'll go in to the regular Army. My son has friends and he's had a few girlfriends but he's not ready to get serious since he has very set future plans and they don't include a gf at home to carry around with him. There's nothing wrong with my son just because he has Aspergers Syndrome. He's a little "unique" but that's what makes Will well, Will!
    Anonymous

• My half brother has aspergers and he is engaged and has friends. It is harder for them, but it is possible.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 7:47 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Of course it's possible. My daughter's not an Aspie - she doesn't have high functioning autism - but when we walked into her Mother's Day tea party yesterday, more than 20 people (mostly her own age) came to say hello to Adia. She has a ton of friends, most very casual. I don't believe dating will be an issue for MANY years - she's six - but I don't see it being a nonissue. She's drop dead gorgeous.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 8:17 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yes, of course it is possible. My son had a boy in his Kindergarten that has Aspergers and he had lots of friends. It may just take a little more time and a really special friend that looks beyond the "issues" to the wonderful friend your child is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My DH has Asperger Syndrome. We also have 2 kids with Aspergers. So yes they can date, get married, hold a job and even have kids just like anyone else.

My DS age 5 and DD age 3 have many friends. My DS also has Muscular Dystrophy, so his limited physical ability sometimes makes it harder for some kids to accept him. Both children have an easier time making friends with girls. I don't think it is much harder for them to make friends, but they have no clue when someone is passing a sarcastic remark about them. They have a harder time realizing who are their "real friends".
    Anonymous

• Me and my SO have Asperger's LOL :) I think it's what attracted us to each other actually. We've been together for 5 years and we have a 18 month old daughter.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2009