Should a child stand up to their parents if they do not agree with what they say? or should they be taught to always respect their elders?

javiandjaysmom

Asked by javiandjaysmom at 6:59 PM on May. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly, I believe a child even as young as 3, should be able to express their self. =) But at the same time they have to be tought that there is a right way & a wrong way to express ones self. I catch alot of heck over the fact that I let my son have his own thoughts & such. Like he picks out what he wants to wear, He picks his hair cuts, he picks how he wears his hair. ect ect. If he disagrees with me, he can tell me, & If I disagree with him , I tell him, && he still has to do what i want him too, but I know how he feels.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:53 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i was always raised to respect my elders, do what you are told, and dont question (i grew up in a small town down south). as i have gotten older, i have learned that there are ways to disagree and make a point without being disrespectful. i want to teach my child that happy medium
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:01 PM on May. 9, 2009

• There's a way to stand up respectfully.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:01 PM on May. 9, 2009

• In order for an elder to deserve respect, they must give it and lead by example.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:02 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I had an awful relationship with my parents because I would stand up to them. They would make fun of gay people and black people, I would say something against it and they would yell at me about how I wasn't raised that way and such. I believe in what I believe is right and I will stand up for it. Even if it's people that are my parents or not.
    Anonymous

• I have always stood up to my parents when they say or do things I don't agree with. There is a way to do it respectfully though. My fiance however has absolutely NO spine when it comes to his parents. He'll be 22 in July and still does EVERY SINGLE THING his parents tell him to do, even if he doesn't want to. He has trouble forming opinions on his own because he's so used to his parents him telling him what to think basically. I think they really hindered him by controlling him so much and making him feel like he had to do everything they said. It has caused problems in our relationship already because I am pregnant and his parents have tried to pull the same shit with me (trying to control what we name the baby, where we live, etc) but they don't realize that I wasn't brought up to just be walked all over. If you disagree than you should stand up for what you believe in, just be nice about it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:03 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I think a child has the right to express their opinion.If we want our children to respect us we have to respect them too. I guess it could get out of control, but as long as things remain calm I don't see anything wrong with it.
    zackaroosmom

Answer by zackaroosmom at 7:06 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Respect does not equal accepting everything your told without discussion.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 7:11 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Yes a child should stand up for what they belive but if it isn't hurting the child then parents are bound to win.
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 7:14 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I was raised that my opinion always counts. If I didn't agree with something it was perfectly okay for me to say so. I didn't always get my way but if I thought something was wrong or unfair I always had to the right to say so. That's how I'm going to raise my son. I don't want him to grow up thinking that his opinion doesn't count and he has to anything and everything that other people tell him without even having a say in it.
    lilmomma090908

Answer by lilmomma090908 at 7:29 PM on May. 9, 2009