103.5 and motrin not working...ER?

At what temp. do I need to take my 10 month old to ther ER? Her fever is at 103.5 right now. I gave her motrin about 30 minutes ago (not sure if thats long enough for it to work or not) and gave her a short room temp bath... didnt last long cuz she was shivering so bad... but her temp didnt change. her doc said no formula yesterday so I have her drinking some cold juice right now. the on call nurse is suppse to be calling me but she is so hot! Should I go ahead and take her in, wait and see or what???

mrsbvader

Asked by mrsbvader at 7:05 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Give the nurse a few minutes to call you back, but it the Motrin isn't working, then it would be a good idea to have her seen. I would go to a walk-in clininc instead of the ER if you can.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 7:09 PM on May. 9, 2009

• 30 minutes is long enough for it to work. I would take her to the ER ASAP. Better safe than sorry.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:09 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I would wait and see. Or call the ER your self. I know that little ones do tend to run high fevers
    Anonymous

• That is way to high of a fever and if it isn't going down even after Motrin, you should go to the ER.
    Anonymous

• its at 102.8 now
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 7:17 PM on May. 9, 2009

• It sounds like the fever is on it's way down. I hope she is feeling better. One thing I usually do with my kids while I'm waiting for the medicine to work is a cold washcloth on the back of the neck. Also keep them under lots of covers, especially when they start sweating so the fever can break.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 9:12 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I agree with Sadira plus my ped told us we could alternate between motrin and tylenol one every 2 hours (making each ind. med. dosed every 4 hours as directed) for a relentless fever until it breaks.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:34 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I suggest you give your little one a tepid bath. it will help. also what the pediatrician might suggest is to use Motrin and Baby Tylenol, you used the Motrin then in 2 hours you can give the Tylenol. Ask your advise Nurse about it. You interchange each med every 2 hours and no you won't be overdosing Little ones seem to always get a higher fever, I think they do it on purpose to see how much of a rise they can get from their Mum. All will be well Mum your little one's virus will pass, and the only one worse for the wear will be you. Remember always do what your Mum gut says. With that you will normally be right.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 8:57 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Is there any other concerns besides the fever? That is a high fever, but not uncommonly high. My kids routinely ran 104 fevers until they were about 6. Then it was lower. USUALLY, it is not a problem. You can alternate giving the motrin and tylenol but be very careful to write down the dosages and times so you do not overdose the baby.
    If there are upper resp issues please take baby in as it could be serious.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:03 AM on May. 11, 2009

• My 4 year old daughter had a 104.7 fever two weeks ago. I gave her advil, took her in a tepid shower, dressed her in a summer nightgown, gave her ice water to drink, and put a cold rag on her head. After all that she still had 104.4 and I called the advise nurse to see if I should bring her in. The advice nurse let me know that 105 would be when they would want to see her, and that what I was doing was what they would be doing in the er she also informed me that cool baths or showers are no longer recommended. I then asked if I could give advil any sooner than the directions specified, she put me on hold to speak with the pedi dr and came back to inform me that advil and tylenol could be given in staggered doses just be sure to chart when they are given. While I was on the phone with the nurse my mil was asking my daughter if she wanted a Jamba Juice, on being asked my daughter perked up a bit.
    Beenie

Answer by Beenie at 5:21 AM on May. 11, 2009