Do you believe that parents should be arrested for spanking their child/children in public? Do you think that this is an acceptable form of discipline in the home?

javiandjaysmom

Asked by javiandjaysmom at 7:20 PM on May. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I believe that the act of a human striking another human is an act of violence; when a parent spanks a child, one of the messages is that sometimes violence is the solution to a problem; I believe that violence is never the solution to a problem.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:38 PM on May. 9, 2009

• This is a joke, right? Of course parents should not be arrested. Only they know if their kid has been a pain in the butt for days on end so they finally let them have a whack in public to send a serious message to the child. You just never know till you walk in a parent's shoes. I almost never spank my kids but I have and they needed it and now I don't have to because they know better.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:22 PM on May. 9, 2009

• absolutely not. its your child and as long as youre not down right beating them, who is the government to tell you how to raise your own child?? that is the most infuriating question. i was spanked as a kid and i will use it when my child is born. but people that werent spanked as kids usually dont think its okay. theres a line between spanking and beating/abusing. i DO NOT agree with the beating.. i.e anyting other than your hand.
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 7:24 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Definately not. I have had to spank my kids in public before and I'd do it again. The government has no right to tell you as a parent how to raise your kid. I agree with USMC, there is a fine line between spanking and abuse. The government should step in if someone is abusing their kid but if someone is just giving their kid a swat on the behind then it's nobody's business but the parent and child.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 7:41 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Just spanky in public?No...And yes I spanked my kids...

Answer by louise2 at 7:43 PM on May. 9, 2009

• No a parent should not be arrested for spanking their child whether its in public or at home. as others have said there is a difference between spanking and abuse.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:52 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I spanked my son in public today for being willfully disobedient. We were out, and had to go from one place to another... and he refused to come with me, and ran away.

So, I popped him on the butt. I usually do "time out" but as we had to leave, and he was not coming with me, having him sit in time out would have kept me and him there longer.

So, no I don't think that someone who spanks their kid in public should be arrested.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 8:22 PM on May. 9, 2009

• If it is anyone under 2 years, yes. I don't believe toddlers and infants (and yes, there are nutjobs who believe babies deliberately do things to deserve spankings).
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:24 PM on May. 9, 2009

• No, parents shouldn't be arrested for spanking their kids. I will spank my kids if I feel it's necessary. Spanking is not an act of violence.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:45 PM on May. 9, 2009

• If the spank is so incredibly forceful that it's a full on beating, then that can be addressed by the law.

But the little swats I see often see moms give - no.
    Anonymous