how do i cheer them up

my husband abandoned us and my kids have been lashing out the have been biting screaming for there dad so what do i do he has been gone for almost 4 weeks every time they here a truck that sounds like his the run to the door so what can i do please help moms

tiffany1988

Asked by tiffany1988 at 7:36 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • sit down with them. talk with them about how they feel. if the child isnt old enough to give a word for how he/she is feeling offer words. "Are you feeling angry because Dad left?" Tell them it's okay to feel angry. Offer to let them color it out. meaning after you talk about the feelings give them some paper and markers and ask them to draw what they are feeling. Let them know in every way you can that YOU will always be there for them. And it's okay for you to talk about your feelings a little too. That way they know they arnt the only ones. As long as you arnt bashing on their dad that is. Sand play is also very theraputic. good luck.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

• You know, sitting down with them-- YOU being there and occupying their minds is all you can do. Never, no matter who you are talking with let your children hear you talking bad about daddy. -That's one thing I don't do, nor let any one else do. My ex hubby isn't that great at fatherhood either but, I don't rub it in my child's face. Over a period of time they will realize what happened without your personal influence. Just give it time. And don't forget to occupy them. Taking a short trip might also help.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 8:20 PM on May. 9, 2009