Is it a bad habit to have baby in bed with you?

My son is almost 4wks and is exclusively BF, he sleeps in our bed everynight, is this a bad habit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes because as he gets older and you don't want to co-sleep anymore you will have a hard time getting him into his own bed.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:41 PM on May. 9, 2009

• read up a bit on attachment parenting. co-sleeping and breastfeeding go hand in hand. Read up on tips to make it as safe as possible. here is a link to some things on co-sleeping http://www.picosearch.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:42 PM on May. 9, 2009

• well lets just say, my son was breast feed and we had him in bed with us too, its easier for feedings, but he is 7 now and will still get in the bed with us...I dont think its a bad thing since he is the last, he does sleep in his bed but if he gets up in the middle of the night he wants to be by me.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:42 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My LO is 5 1/2 months old, and has only been sleeping in her crib religiously for about 3 weeks. Mostly because she sleeps completely through the night though. I exclusively BF as well, and sleeping with baby makes it easier on everyone. The transition from our bed to the crib went very smooth. I think sleeping with baby is the most natural decision. You do have to take precautions to keep your baby safe though. If you toss and turn, maybe consider a co-sleeper so you don't end up on top of baby. Two times I scared the heck out of myself... I rolled onto my side and my LO was right behind me (almost like spooning) and was kicking the heck out of me... I woke up in a complete panic thinking I was laying on top of her, and I wasn't... phewwww! Anyhow, just make sure your LO is safe and then it's the best! Oh, and keep your LO in the middle of the bed, not close to the edge :)
    OregonJeka

Answer by OregonJeka at 8:42 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I admit the transition from co-sleeping to crib was very difficult.

But I loved co-sleeping for her first couple of months. I could just latch the her on to nurse, and fall asleep myself! Honestly, I would do it again, but maybe with a co-sleeping basinet that hooks to the bed to make the transition easier.

But if your going to co-sleep make sure you know the safety rules. No blankets or pillows around baby's face, and don't do it of you or your hubby have been drinking, or taking anything that makes you drowsy.

Other than that - enjoy the snuggles :)

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:45 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I know some people who've never had any problem co-sleeping and then moving the child to their own bed; and I have a niece who at 5 still crawls into her parents bed EVERY night when they go to bed...so it's up to the child's personality I think...

Personally I put mine in their cribs the day we got home from the hospital; I wanted them to be comfortable in there...do what works for you =)
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:50 PM on May. 9, 2009

• My daughter was in bed with us for 7 months and it took us two weeks to get her in her bed i would'nt co-sleep it's not good for the baby or you. BF or not just get up it's easier in long run.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:53 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Absolutely not. I could not imagine having my lo's sleep away from me. I would be frantic all night. The Jan/Feb issue of Mothering magazine had a wonderful article on bed sharing and all of its benefits & called 'Who wants to sleep alone'.  Here is a link if you would like to order the back issue.   http://www.mothering.com/shop/index.php?target=categories&category_id=169    If you breastfeed, it only makes sense to have your baby sleep with you, right where he belongs. 

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:02 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I agree with carlye828
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:13 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I love having my babies in bed with me. The way my house is structured, my bedroom is on one side of the house and the other bedrooms are on the opposite side of the house with the front and side door between the rooms. I would hate to worry about being separated from them if there was a break in or a fire.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:21 PM on May. 9, 2009