Where thinking about getting a "big boy" carseat....

the convertable one. My son is 7 months old and around 17-18 lbs. Hes feet are starting to dangle over the edge of the infant carseat and its terrible lugging that thing around so we were looking into geting the sitting up convertable carseat. couple questions though....
- is he old enough?
-where in the car should it go? (current car seat is in the middle but the convertable carseat will not touch the seat if it is rear facing..is that safe?)
-What carseat do u have and do u like it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Convertible car seats can actually be used from 5 lbs. Most of them. My dd is 8 months and we will be getting a britax soon.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:09 PM on May. 9, 2009

• he is old enough for the seat but it still is supposed to be rear facing til he is 20lbs and 1 yr old. it should go in the middle as well, however if it can not be installed properly (you can go to a local fire station in most areas and ask them to look at it or have them tell you where to go) in the middle seat it should go on one of the sides. for example, my daughters rear facing seat fit fine in the middle seat, however her convertable seat sits over the edge of the middle seat so part of it is over just air, so she now sits behind the drivers side ( i put her there b/c i find that when i'm driving if it looks like a car is about to hit me and i go to avoid a head on collision i tend to pull the car so that they would hit the passenger side so i feel better with her behind me). we have a seat by "cosco" which is a cheaper brand, however it is made the same as the higher priced seats and has lasted us 2 1/2 years. CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:10 PM on May. 9, 2009

• she just turned 3 in dec and is just now about to hit the weight limit, probably by the end of summer.
    vabchmommy

• My oldest was in a convertable carseat at 5 months 'cause she hit the height and weight limits on the carrier and my youngest was 7 months. As long as you keep him rear facing til he's a year old and 20 lbs, he'll be fine! We have a Graco and I love it.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 9:11 PM on May. 9, 2009

• We are graduating to a "big girl seat" next week. My DD is 7 months also, although a little heavier - oink, oink - & I'll be so glad to be rid of that infant carrier! Oh, my aching back!! I have been looking for a while & getting so upset with car seat manufacturers, because, yes the seats are wonderful & safe & all that, but if you don't drive a huge SUV, good freaking luck fitting those suckers in there! Car seats just want to take over the entire back seat. So, this is what we are getting. I am ordering it on Monday. This is a link to the cheapest place. http://www.albeebaby.com/combi-convertible-and-booster-car-seats.html It is made to fit in a car.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:30 PM on May. 9, 2009

• is he old enough? YEAH A BABY CAN BE IN ONE FROM BIRTH IF THEY FIT
    -where in the car should it go? (current car seat is in the middle but the convertable carseat will not touch the seat if it is rear facing..is that safe?)IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BACK SEAT, WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT WON'T TOUCH THE SEAT??
    -What carseat do u have and do u like it?WE HAVE USED MANY KINDS, THE BEST SO FAR HANDS DOWN IS THE TRUEFIT, IT RFs TO 35LBS AND 50 INCHES THATS THE TALLEST LIMIT ON THE MARKET AND RFING IS SAFEST YOU DON'T HAVE TO TURN FFING AT 1 YEAR AND 20LBS, IT ALSO HARNESSES TO 65LBS AND HARNESSED IS SAFEST FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE,THIS SEAT SHOULD LAST UNTIL 7 YEARS OLD...BY THEM THEY ONLY NEED A SIMPLE BOOSTER
    HERES A PIC OF MY SON IN IT
    http://www.cafemom.com/photos/view.php?photo_id=12357667&ct=mine
    AND A LINK
    http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-True-Convertible-Sporty/dp/B000YBK0H8/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_img_a
    THERES TONS OF COLORS..
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:44 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Looks like I don't need to say much because Tabicat1023 has already said some of the points I was going to bring up. I'm not really sure what you mean by the car seat not touching the seat either but generally the back of the car seat should not be touching the back of the front seat if that's what you mean. Also for me it seemed the Convertible car seat was more secure then the infant car seat, my convertible car seat doesn't wobble at all where as my infant car seat was kind of wobbly, that's one of the reasons we switched our son into a convertible at around 5 months old. As for what kind of car seat we have we bought the Evenflo Triumph Advanced and we love it, it rear faces till 35 lbs, forward faces till 65 lbs and it is side impact tested, ti also has anchors if your car uses them.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 10:03 PM on May. 9, 2009

• btw the ETA mentioned above only FFs to 50lbs not 65
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:37 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Oh that sucks :( I thought it went up to 65. It's ok though were thinking about buying a Britax Regent with in the next couple of months anyways. But sorry for the incorrect info.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 10:47 PM on May. 9, 2009

• yeah I like the ETA but since the TF is only a bit more and 15 lbs higher in weight and MUCH taller RFing wise...I love the TF
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:48 PM on May. 9, 2009