autism in babies?

Our family friend insists that his son is autistic, he hasnt tested him but still insists that he is. The baby is around a year and 9 months. What are actual signs of autism in babies of this age?

I dont mean to get into thier buisness, its just odd to me that he would discuss this openly and so often. Im just curious as to what the signs are.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i know some are... not being that social, flapping of the hands.. walking on tippy toes ...staring off into space like they are in their own world
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:11 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Autism is typically not diagnosed until at least 2 year old. I have been talking to my nursing instructor about this a lot. Her son is autistic, so as both a nurse and a mother, she knows quite a bit about this subject. My son is 20 months and I expressed some behaviour concerns to both her and several of his doctors. They have told me that at his age it is impossible to predict whether a child is autistic, because so many of the signs are typically baby behaviours. Have you asked your friend why he thinks his child is autistic? Some people do just like to get attention, even if it means labeling their kid "autistic".
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:35 AM on May. 10, 2009