What is an appropriate gift to give a baby just baptized/christened into the Catholic Church?

The baby boy will be about 2 months old at the time. We won't be attending the church event, but will be invited to the lunch for family and friends later that day.

I have NO idea what is appropriate. Money? keepsake? toys?

bam920

Asked by bam920 at 9:38 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you do want something he can have now (or at least soon), they make small stuffed animals that say Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep when you squeeze them. I forget what all different animals they have (kid had two of them), but it's typical lambs and things.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:00 AM on May. 10, 2009

• For my kids both baptized in the Catholic Church, they have received a crucifix, rosary, bible, and a religious picture frame (one with maybe a cross or scripture on it). Mostly keepsake stuff. I would not buy a toy for this occassion.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 9:48 PM on May. 9, 2009

• a baby rosary, a cross statue a rattle with the date of baptism on it, a teddy bear praying a nice bank with a few dollars already in it. When my kids were baptised my grandma gave us $50. Not that you should go that high, but money is appropriate. We started up an account with the money.
    Anonymous

• More keep-sake type stuffs. If you're not comfortable buying items with icons (like Mary or a crusifix) on it, you don't have to (I'm not comfortable with it either). For my friend's son's Christening, I got a blue baby blanket embroidered with a celtic cross, his name and Christening date. The cross was white with ornate detailing in the color of the baby's birthstone.

A bank with dollars is a good suggestion. Or even a savings bond or a check towards savings. Cards are fine too.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:56 PM on May. 9, 2009

• All super ideas. Thanks for your help. I will try the Christian book and gift store and if all else fails....CASH! Thanks.
    bam920

Answer by bam920 at 7:17 AM on May. 10, 2009