What are signs my son is going through a growth spurt?

He's 3 months and was eating 4-5 ounces every 4 hours and now he's hungry every 2 to 3 hours...Can I give him rice cereal in his bottle?

amyt89

Asked by amyt89 at 9:42 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I give my daughter rice in her bottle, I have since she was 3 weeks. Doctors will tell you not to, but if it works than do it. Also, have you noticed if he's sleeping more than usual? That's a sign too.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:49 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Just give him more - try 6-8 ounces. An appetite increase is always a good sign of a growth spurt, also sleeping more. My kids all ate more and sometimes slept more. Also, their appetite may drop after the growth spurt, or it may stay at the increased amount.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:50 PM on May. 9, 2009

• eats and sleeps all day
    abbyl2490

Answer by abbyl2490 at 12:25 AM on May. 10, 2009

• "Doctors will tell you not to, but if it works than do it."

Doctors tell you not to because it's A) a choking hazard and your baby could DIE
    and B) their guts are immature and you could cause them to be diabetic or obese later in life.

NO CEREAL IN BOTTLES EVER.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:27 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't give rice... just feed him as often as he needs.
    If he is having a growth spurt he will want to eat more often and if you give rice it's just empty calories (kind of like giving soda instead of milk... just junk) He needs the milk to grow... even if it's not a growth spurt he shouldn't have rice yet.
    If he is taking 40 oz for more than a week, talk to your pediatrican about it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:12 AM on May. 10, 2009