Question for women who have tore while giving birth

I gave birth 10 days ago and i tore and was stiched up.How long should it take for it to heal up?I'm concerned that mine may have not healed.I seem to hurt worse down there instead of getting better and have started to bleed some bright red blood today,not a whole lot but some.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i tore and then was cut. it takes time. its been 2 years since i had my son but im pretty sure it took more than 10 days. im thinkin it was a few weeks. you will be sore down there. everything is trying to shrink back up. dont wipe-pat dry.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:56 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I didn't tear, but, I did have an episiotomy with both of my kids. It does take a while to heal. I remember 6 weeks after the birth, the dh and I tried to be intimate the first time since I had the baby and I felt like I was going to rip open all over again. If you're bleeding alot, I would watch all that you're doing and maybe slow down a bit. I think that some mild bleeding is ok though. Maybe you could take sitz bath or pat yourself down with a cool damp rag. I know it sounds weird, but, it does help. I think that's one of the hardest parts about recovering. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• I tore both times. It took roughly about 6 weeks before I felt human again. If you got a squirt bottle, use it. It helps. Also use witch hazel compresses. Also soothes and cools the area. 10 days post partum is still early. feel better
    Anonymous

• I tore with my second child. I only needed 3 stitches. Maybe tmi, but I had sex a little over 2 weeks after I had him. I was sore from it a little, but other than that I don't remember hurting at all. I don't think i'm much help because my body tends to heal quickly.I would recommend using the peri bottle and icepacks.
    zackaroosmom

Answer by zackaroosmom at 10:36 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I tore bad with my first, my doc refused to tell me how many stitches I had. The best thing you can do it take it easy, it sounds like this was your first so at least all you have to care for is baby. Even sitting and standing make it worse. and sitz baths 2x a day or more if you are very uncomfortable. I thought I would never heal with my 3rd, it will just take some time, with my third, i was still in pain at 5 weeks. Good luck. oh and the more you bleed. the more you are doing.
    Anonymous

• sorry that was just me I didn't mean to be anon
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:46 PM on May. 9, 2009

• If your incision is REALLY bothering you, go to your doctor. My friend ended up being allergic to the material she was stitched with. You will be sore down there but it shouldn't be unbearable if you're using the spray and/or tucks.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:20 PM on May. 9, 2009

• it took me about 2 weeks, just make sure u are cleaning urself with that water bottle and wipe things every time u go to the bathroom, did they give u a bottle of that dermoplast spray stuff?
    worked wonders for me, good luck
    bradynsmom222

Answer by bradynsmom222 at 2:14 PM on May. 10, 2009