Water and Babies

My daughter is almost 11 months and we got the okay from her ped to give her water. I was just wondering if there was a limit to give her. Totally slipped my mind when the doc said to go ahead. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Since its not really NEEDED per se, I would give only a few ounces a day...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:36 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Just put a couple ounces in a real for cup for practice with her solids.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:48 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Use a sippy cup for water; this is a great way to start establishing a healthy habit. You can help by setting a great example and drinking 8 8oz glasses of water a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:52 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I agree with rkoloms. I used to do that with all my son's meals. Just make sure it isn't enough to effect her intake of breastmilk or formula, since that is so essential for nutrition.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 11:38 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I just give my son a sippy cup full of water and he drinks from it as he likes all day. But he doesn't really like water that much, so he'll only drink a little here and there anyway. He usually has half of a 5 oz. sippy left by the end of the day. A child who will drink a lot of water, you'd have to do it differently so it doesn't interfere with breastmilk or formula intake.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:53 AM on May. 10, 2009

• i live in Australia, and seeing as it is so hot, my ped has told me its fine to give my baby boy as much as he wants, as long as he is still nursing as much as usual (ie. its not replacing his milk). he is 9 months old, and will drink maybe a sippy cup full every day. i began when he was about 5 months, and he has never been confused and thought his water was 'food' i think maybe thats more of a newborn danger-that they drink too much water instead of milk.
    babies arnt stupid, they know the diference
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 3:31 AM on May. 10, 2009