Is it possible that me using a TON of hand sanitizer is hurting my throat?? Is it bad for you?

Im so scared that my family will get swine flu its pretty mucg taking over my life. We have only had one probable case in my state but I cant even sleep, Im so affraid of my 2 year old catching it that we hardly leave the house and while Im at work I use purell like 10 or more times an hour and my throat burns all the time. Do you think it' from inhaling too much sanitizer or just a virus type thing??? Has anyone else had this happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Health

• Seriously, Hon, It is all media hype and in case you haven't noticed, even they are bored with it. Get over your fear, it's very unjust. And no, hand sanitizer will not harm you.
    Anonymous

• The CDC just says that the swine flu is nothing more than a regular flu and those that have died had other complications. I would not be as paranoid and personally speaking to an absolute germaphob whose uses purell and washes hands more than often during the course of the day, they say that you should be more worried during regular flu season oct-mar. Of course wash hands, especially after being out or blowing nose/sneezing and try not to touch your face/eyes/mouth because that's how germs get in.
    Abee22

Answer by Abee22 at 10:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

• i live in south carolina and my daughter was diagnosed with it last week. she is 13 years old and she is completely fine now. its nothing more than a regular flu. the media makes it sound worse than it really is. a few ppl died, yes...but with other complications as well. so dont panic ok. infact when my daughter went to the hospital..they sent her home only saying tylenol for pain..so its ok.
    she doing good, up...playing with her friends...never been better! so relax!!
    Anonymous

• the swine flu is no more serious then a regular flu. Hand washing with soap and water is far more effective then the sanitizers they really should be used cause your in a position where you can not use running water. they kill your natural flora as well as the bad bacteria so if you use them too much you can actually increase your likelihood of getting a 'bad illness" since you have no normal flora to defend yourself
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:52 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Soap and water is best.
    The use of antibacterials is creating superbugs that are very difficult to treat.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:15 AM on May. 10, 2009

• You need to stop using the hand sanitizer so much, especially if there is alcohol in the sanitizer. The alcohol can seep into your system and that is not healthy. Also, using to much sanitizer will keep your body from being able to fight off infection on it's own. The Swine Flu is no more harmful than the regular flu so stop freaking out. Normal handwashing is fine. Use the sanitizer when in public places.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:11 PM on May. 10, 2009