Do you check on your teens when they babysit?

One of our friends planted the idea in my husband's head that when our 13 year old babysits, she may be having unauthorized company. She has been a really great kid (so far, I know that the worst is yet to come), but I also know that teens really can't be trusted. We have absolutely no reason (so far) to not trust her, but now I am wondering, should we drop by unannouced?

Asked by rkoloms at 10:59 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You said you have no reason yet not to trust her. Then trust her! When you ask her how the evening went, you should hear about the kids she's sitting and the little details like their tooth brushing routines, and what books she read to them, and what she did after they went to bed. If you're getting no info, or she seems cagey, THEN call her during the evening. Tell her you were thinking about her, thought she might like to talk a bit since it's late & she's alone... if she's in a hurry to get off the phone, then you have something to start worrying about. You know your kid. Don't let your friend tell you what your kid will do. Go with your own gut.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 9:33 AM on May. 11, 2009

• i wouldn't. for one thing, if the child's parents feel that you feel you can't trust your child than they aren't going to trust her w/their child. you can call and check on her and if things sound fishy than i would go ahead and swing by, but really at some point you have to trust that she is going to make the right decision
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:06 PM on May. 9, 2009

• It's a good question. My close friend came home from a night out with her husband, to find her teen sitter in her bed having sex. Good times! Not that this would be your child!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:26 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I agree with vabchmommy...call and if things dont sound right then stop by or you could just bring her something that she might have left at the house or thought you would bring her lunch. This way she dosnt think that you dont trust her. But this is just an idea.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:18 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Your baby is wayy to young to be babysitting. You should not drop by unnanounced because then she wont ever trust you, and in her eyes you will become scumbags, then she wont trust you.

I started babysitting last summer for my boyfriends sister, and my mom never did any of that crap. She knows he would come hang out with me just in case, but he cant stay because he's a fireman, and if a call goes out, he's gotta go lol She actually thought it was a good idea for him to stay as long as he can with me just in case something were to happen. Whats wrong with having company if the person she is babysitting for dont mind? Give her some air, let her learn from her own mistakes, because I see a lot of girls my age that were smothered the slightest bit and they are the most rebelloius young adults I know. You should call ot make sure she is okay, and she will appreciate that, and let her know to call you if she needs anything.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 4:07 PM on May. 10, 2009

• to MammaBella: She may be only 13, but she is a Red Cross certified babysitter, including infant and childe first aid and CPR. She has also taken a new born care class. Honestly, she is better equipped to handle a medical emergency then many parents I know.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:55 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Well firstly legally no one under the age of 14 should be looking after someone else's child whether their related or not and if your daughter hasn't given you a cause of concern then why are you worrying,just because other teens have people over that thier not meant to when they babysit doesn't mean your daughter will,have some trust in your kids jeez
    Mommaofteennkid

Answer by Mommaofteennkid at 1:30 PM on May. 12, 2009