For Stay-at-Home-Moms I'm not sure how to ask this. How does your husband distribute the money?

Is he the one who writes the checks?
Do you have your own checks?
Do you have your own credit card?
Do you get an allowance?
If you want something badly do you have to ask him first etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm very lucky. All our money goes into a joint account that I have all control of. If my DH needs smokes of coffee or something he goes ahead and buys it. Everything else he asks me if he can buy it. Not b/c he 'needs permission', but I'm the one that pays all the bills so I know what we can afford. If I want something I just go ahead and buy it without needing to check. But...... it's very rare I buy anything, and we seem to find the money for pretty much everything he wants. I wish that I could be on an 'allowance' b/c I have a hard time allowing any money for myself.
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 12:05 AM on May. 10, 2009

• i'm a sahm mom and i'm in charge of the money. so i do the "distributing" part of it. hes in the military so it kind of has to work that way b/c well someone has to do it while hes gone and thats me, so when hes home theres no reason for him to take over when i already have a system in place. we both get a set amount each paycheck: a set amount for gas, and then the "fun" money that includes going out to lunch or anything during the week, and anything we really want. if it is over that amount both of us discuss it together and see if it can figure into the budget before it is bought. there is also a set amount of fun money for our dd every month for outings with her (for w/both of us or just me if its during the week) and a set amount each month for fun money for the two of us to go out together.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:15 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I'm technically not a SAHM but I make very little because I don't work much. Both our names are on everything, I have checks and a credit card. I ask if I'm purchasing something out of the ordinary, and so does he. When he's out to sea and I can't ask, I just make a decision. I know what money we have and what we can/ should spend. I do all the shopping. He takes care of the bills online if he's here, I do it when he's gone.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:18 PM on May. 9, 2009

• How does your husband distribute the money? He doesn't, he hands his checks over to me. I distribute the money. 

Is he the one who writes the checks? Nope. 

Do you have your own checks? I have the checkbook for both our personal account as well as his business account.  When he needs to write a check, he borrows the checkbook.

Do you have your own credit card? Yep.  He is a signer on it, but I'm primary.  I'm also a signer on his credit card.

Do you get an allowance? Hahahahahahaha  Nope, but I've thought about giving him one. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:24 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Dh has direct deposit so it automatically goes into our joint account. Dh has a check book and debit card to our joint account and so do I. We have one joint credit card. I have a credit card that he is also a signer on and he has one (Best Buy) that he is the only name on. I'm in charge of paying the bills and dh gets $120/wk for fuel, smokes, and eating out. I got tired of him spending money and not keeping track of it. We ask each other before any big purchases.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:40 PM on May. 9, 2009

• He pays the bills, we have a shared account. I buy groceries, lattes, what I need (within reason). If I need a $500 item/airplane ticket, etc, I talk to him.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:58 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the credit cards are in my name and he is a secondary. I actually had better credit in the beginning of our marriage so I was the one approved. I think it's good to keep my credit building since I don't actually have my own income.
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 12:17 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Me. We have a joint account with automatic deposit. I pay the bills and handle all financial matters. I have the check book, and if he wants something he asks me if we can afford it. It works out well this way.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:29 AM on May. 10, 2009

• We share our accounts, and so his paycheck is direct deposit. We both have debit cards to the same account so I spend whatever and he spends whatever. We always check our balance. I pay the bills most of the time because he is very forgetfull.
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 4:03 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Our money is our money. I couldn't imagine having to ask if I could buy something. As long as we both log in what we spend there is never any problems.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 7:20 AM on May. 10, 2009