Is it possible........................

To disagree on something without pissing someone off? Whatever happened to respecting one's opinion? I don't get it.

Katie911

Asked by Katie911 at 11:16 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, it is possible to disagree without pissing someone off. its called a debate. Very rare to find those here on CM. People here prefer to bash others and cyber-fight. people love to nit-pick and dissect other answers. for what? I'm still trying to figure that out...
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:22 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Sure. I have met plenty of people online and IRL that I can disagree with and still be friends or at least get along with no hard feelings. It's about respect. Some are able to respect differing viewpoints and some cannot.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:18 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I agree with Friday. As a matter of fact, I have disagreed with Friday at times! lol. But I still consider her a friend.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:20 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I think so, adults who respect one another do this all the time. Agreeing to disagree has saved many friendships! We are all individuals and different in our own ways, so therefore we all have different opinions which we express and of course, your point of view, should be the same as my point of view, lol! (I'm just kidding... :)
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:57 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Tolerance is being kind and showing respect to those we disagree with. I wished more had true tolerance but many in the name of tolerance and acceptance end up being the nastiest and most judgemental people of all.

I don't get myself worked up over unimportant stuff. Life is far too short. If I disagree with someone I will respectfully disagree. Calling someone stupid over an opinion is not kind or respectful and is intolerant. I think so many on here are so unhappy with their lives they come on here looking for someone vulerable to be mean to. They want to fight so someone else feels as badly as they do. I say a prayer for them so they can find peace and move on with my day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Not here it's not.

SOME of these women on here take themselves WAY too seriously. Then they spread hate and it gets under people's skin, and that gets taken to work/family/friends discussions and it just spreads like *gasp*...The SWINE FLU. LOL!! The more I visit this site the more it makes me nervous about how my children will be treated in the future.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 1:12 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Ladychamp is right. I know I can be harsh sometimes I admit it, but I will stick up for what I believe in, as will others. I blame hormones, lol j/k
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 2:00 AM on May. 10, 2009

• On the internet or in real life, I treat others with the same respect as they give me--which goes both ways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on May. 10, 2009

• shruggingWhy is always considered "disrespecting" if someone gets passionate? Is it possible we have lost sight of the issue? Unless someone called you names, maybe you are also guilty of this by saying this. You are not respecting their right to their opinion. If it is just telling you that you are wrong and giving reasons, that is passion and conviction not disrespecting you. If they called names, they weren't taught manners by their mom's and dad's a long time ago.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:54 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I think Jesse has a point. I have sometimes posted answers just addressing points raised and not calling names and have been accused of "attacking" and "being angry." I go out of my way to address the issues and not the person, however I am not always treated in that manner. I try not to let it get to me.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:12 AM on May. 10, 2009