how can i teach my kids to interact with kids that have down syndrome??

ok the thing is that my front door neighbors have a little girl about the same age as my son (3 yrs. old) and i would like for my son to be able to interact with her

G.Erika

Asked by G.Erika at 11:16 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would just play with them and explain things at his level. My daughter isn't downs, but she has some special needs and her social skills are delayed. I just explain to other children that she doesn't understand and I suggest activities that she does understand.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:23 PM on May. 9, 2009

• just let her play with that child as if she were any other child. If issues arise, address them as they come instead of trying to set yourself or your child up. example: all of the Downs kids that I know are very huggy-feely touchy kids. So, if you don't want them hugging you all the time you have to address that as it comes up.

Try not to set yourself up with expectations of what interacting with this child will be like. Just go with the flow and learn as you go.... I know that sounds so cliche' but its the best advice I can come up with.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:26 PM on May. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't even acknowledge it as an issue. Let them interact together naturally. If your child has questions, answer them the best way you can. Explain that we're each different if it becomes an issue...I'm sure it won't though.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:30 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Give them activities that they can both play that is what should be done when your child plays with any new child.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:38 AM on May. 10, 2009

• We have a severely autistic neice and she is very touchy feely and other things to. We never did anything special and if something came up then we discussed and handled it right then. I think that is the best approach.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on May. 10, 2009

• It depends on the child severity but if it is mild then they would play just like any other children. My son(4.5) takes Karate with a child with Downs Syndrome (about 6). Though the D/S boy is more sensitive he interacts with the other kids great. My son doesn't seem to even notice that he is different. Talk to the neighbor child's mother about what kinds of games or toy her child likes to play. Chances are they are a lot of the same games your child likes to play (blocks, ball,dress up ect). Work together to find an activity they can both enjoy and stay close by for help if needed.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:29 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Nothing, just let them play together. At that age, the kids will not see that there is something "wrong" with the other child. They only way a child that age will even notice anything is if an adult says something. Just let them play together. Kids are more empathtic than you may think.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:30 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I don't think playing will be an issue Down's children are very friendly and will normally just play so unless your son had heard something about down's kids, they will probably just play like any 2 kids will it should not be a problem. Meet the Mum and ask if your son can meet her little one so they may play. I am sure they both will be pleased.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 9:05 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I agree with the other parents who say just let them play. If your child doesn't understand why the other child looks or acts a certain way, then explain it carefully to them (possibly asking for guidance from your neighbor who should be more than happy to help). If your child doesn't even notice, then don't worry about it. The lesson is not how to interact with people with disabilities... it's how to interact & play with everyone & enjoy them for who they are!
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 11:10 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Your 3 year old isn't going to notice the child looks or acts any different unless you make it a big deal. If they do notice a difference, just explain that everyone is different and your child should be happy with that explanation!! I don't see that they will need help playing together though, but I would talk to the child's parents and make sure. Otherwise I think your little one will have found the best friend ever!!
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 4:40 PM on May. 11, 2009