I just got layed off from a job where I was there for a long time. This is all new to me, being a stay at home mom. My son is already 11, but time flies! But it is very different, and emotional, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has any advice on how to keep myself busy. Thanx...

twinny280

Asked by twinny280 at 11:21 PM on May. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well, I'd try to enjoy it. Can you get into the "little" things? Like wake up, have a cup of coffee, take a walk, spend an hour on the computer or doing a new hobby (for me, I'd kill to take a pottery class), plan meals better, go to the gym? Search for a new job? I'd look into something you've always wanted to do but never had time for and do it. You're okay Mom, hang in there, it's just a transitory time!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:23 AM on May. 10, 2009

• its spring cleaning season. go for a walk or play on cafemom all day.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 12:43 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Volunteer at your kids school, volunteer at your local homeless shelter or food bank, host a coffee/tea/brunch one day a week with other stay home moms where you can sit and visit, get back to a hobby you once enjoyed or one you have wanted to try like photography or scrapbooking or horseback riding. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:06 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I agree with volunteering! Maybe there is a political campaign that you would like to get involved with. You can take a class; some community colleges have free classes.

Your son may be worried because you lost your job; get him to talk to you about his feelings (make a batch of cookies from scratch with him, this is a great way to get kids talking).

If you are looking for a new job, please feel free to contact me. I do career and job search coaching, and I am always happy to help CafeMoms with coverletters, resumes, and job search strategy. I am not trying to sell you services, just offering expert advice and assistance.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:22 AM on May. 10, 2009

• get involved with the school, spring cleaning, gardening, etc. i always try to do all my errands during the day. that leaves evenings for kids. have there been any projects or things you have wanted to do that you couldn't do because you were working? i would think about those as well.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:31 AM on May. 10, 2009

• all the above

Answer by admckenzie at 10:12 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I had a hard time with this problem too after I hurt my back but take advantage of it. Embrase the time you have and read a good book, enjoy the time alone, start a hobbie.
    214mommydearest

Answer by 214mommydearest at 1:19 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Indulge in yourself! Go to the library and read free books and get free videos! If clean everyday you well go insane! Go to the museums and the arts stuff! It can be hard but there is peace and quiet! Also make up trips that you and your son can do together when he at is school! There is so many things!
    wlradun

Answer by wlradun at 12:57 PM on May. 12, 2009