how much tv do you let your children watch? What are the kids ages?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Entertainment

• My kids' ages are 8, 5, and 2. I don't have cable, satellite, or local television. I choose what the kids watch, movies or purchased t.v. shows. I don't keep the t.v. off all day simply because my children are always on the go. I kick them out everyday. When it's raining and ugly out, they color, play video games, read, take pictures (they have kid cameras) and play on the PC. I don't set a timer, but I don't let them sit around all day. Now, just to be clear, I have the time to dedicate, I'm a full time mom, I know some moms work and can't monitor all the time. The only thing I could really say works, is no cable or local television. Movies only. My kids are very Un-commercialized and very active. And the video games they play are V-Tech's V-Smile, and kid friendly PS2 (Veggie Tales, Dora)
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 11:11 PM on May. 10, 2009

• around a half hour a day they dont really like that much tv they would much rather color all day lol!!!my walls have paid !!! they are three and four
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 12:14 AM on May. 10, 2009

• i have a toddler who will be 2 next month, and a 5 month old. i don't set my kids in front of the tv, ever, so my toddler is not willing to sit and just watch a show. i do have tv on a lot in the background though, since my husband is gone and i'm by myself a lot, it helps keep my sanity. the kids will stop and watch for a second or two, but they never get 'involved' with a show. i don't put it on children's movies (we don't even have tv) so that they aren't tempted. i mean once in a while we'll watch a cartoon movie or something, but even then his attention span is certainly not very long :)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:16 AM on May. 10, 2009

• My kids are 5 and 7, and it depends on the week. Most of the time, they only watch about 2 hours of TV a week (usually on Saturday mornings). They do, however earn TV/Computer/Video game time through behavior and chores. My daughter (5) usually picks the TV option and puts in one of her movies, but then spends the duration of the movie doing puzzles or coloring. My son (7) usually chooses to play the computer. All the games are educational in one way or another, so it's good.
    They prefer to spend most of their time outside. We're really busy with school and both of them are in TaeKwonDo, with the classes 3 nights a week, plus some Saturday mornings/afternoons, so we're usually on the run pretty good, and the times we're not on the run, we're taking advantage of the family time and playing games or doing activities together.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:11 AM on May. 10, 2009

• None. My son is two, and we're going to wait until he's at least 6 before we let him watch, and even then it will be severely limited. We never have the tv on when he is awake.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 12:43 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I try not to let my kids, age 13 & 8 watch too much tv during the week. I guess I would have to say about 1 hr a day. I want them to be outside more often.
    pdub27

Answer by pdub27 at 12:53 PM on May. 10, 2009

• No t.v. during the week. 1/2 hour of video games OR television on weekend days, unless we make an exception and have a family movie night.
    Anonymous