The always and forever famous Temper-Tantrums....

My oldest baby girl is now 3 yrs old and has learned to throw major tantrums. I am trying to figure out the best ways to handle them in public and at home. It is really starting to worry me because she is now hitting herself when she gets angry. I hav never tried spanking and dont plan to. Any suggestions would be awesome!!

micki1985

Asked by micki1985 at 12:13 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh tantrums i know them my daughter is 4 and her tantrums horrible since i can remember i have tried everything and so far for me nothing has worked nothing !!!!!!!!! they say ignoring them and acting like you dont hear them is suppose to work but for me it has not oh and my husband thinks spanking works but it just makes it 100 xs worse!!!! sorry i couldnt answer your question !!!
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 12:19 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Funny my husband thinks that too and no ofcourse it doesnt work when they turn growl then laugh at you. We are trying the whole time out and ignoreing them til their calm routine but getting hubby on board with it is just as hard as dealing with my 3 yr old. Oh and watching those 2 argue over the tv is driving me nuts!! lol
    micki1985

Answer by micki1985 at 12:24 AM on May. 10, 2009

• My DD is 18 months and throws herself on the ground crying kicking and screaming. I walk off and don't give her what she wants. It usually only lasts 30 seconds or so(not that I time it).
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:28 AM on May. 10, 2009

• i tell my daughter (shes 3) that i can't understand her b/c shes speaking "butthead talk" and that when she is ready to talk to me in "real person talk" she can come talk to me, until then i don't want her to be near me. then i send her to the back room or to her bedroom and usually after a few mins she'll come out and ask if she can talk to me now and if she has stopped the tantrum than i will talk to her. if we are in public and i can't leave (i'm already in line or i'm just not going back out to run errands) than i ignore her, or if i'm at a grocery store or walmart or something' i'll ask if they can hold my cart w/my stuff in it for a min so she can go to time out and we go outside til she stops. if shes throwing it b/c she wants something she doesn't get it and she looses a privelage at home (tv, playtime, snack whatever). usually it works sometimes it doesn't.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:31 AM on May. 10, 2009

• my son went through this stage, it didn't last very long. the first time he threw a tantrum was in the store, my husband and I just stood there and had a normal conversation, like ok so why don't you get the eggs, milk and cheese and I'll go over......thats when my son stopped and my husband looked at him and said are you done now? my son got up and that was it.

sometimes kids are just mad and don't have the words to say what's the matter.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:28 AM on May. 10, 2009