Don't you feel sorry for kids these days?

I feel sorry for them because they are not required to do any chores and therefore do not feel as if they contribute or are needed in their home. I feel sorry for them because they are not required to make any sacrifices, therefore they are not learning selflessness and true love. I feel sorry for them because they are given toys and gifts, instead of time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on May. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• The world is not much different than it used to be. We just have a 24/7 news machine that sensationalizes everything to make it seem the sky is falling. Kids in the 50's did not have it any better than todays kids. They had moms who could not say a word if they were abused because they were likely to lose custody to the father. Children were never believed if they were abused adults were. Ask a black person who was around in the 50s they will tell you they were a lot more fearful for their safety than they are today.

The good ole days did not exist and someday our children will say remember when it was so great when we were kids. Every generation does it. Humans are not happy unless they have something to complain about. Maybe if all adults spent less time complaining and more quality time with their kids the world would finally change.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Not all families are like that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on May. 10, 2009

• HELL NO! I don't feel sorry at all. And I don't know where you live but I don't know any kids like that... My kids are just 2 and 3 and they have toys sure but they also have daily and weekly chores they have to save money and they have to listen to my rules. The only parent they ever have to do without is their father and that's because the poor man has to work... Kids today have more chances than anyone in my generation or those before me. You can literally go from being a no body to being Donald Trump. They have every thing they will ever need to be who ever or what ever they dream of being. And for the first time in history it doesn't matter which side of the tracks you were born on... You have a chance at being great! How can you feel sorry for that?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:27 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I'm laughing, and smirking. My kids wish they had more 'stuff', toys and gifts. I think my kids know selflessness. I think that every time one of us gets hurt, and they all come running, and want to help. I feel sorry for some kids, but I love mine. And they know it.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:27 AM on May. 10, 2009

• agree with anon!! my family is not like that either!! you know wat my children got for christmas this year from me clothes that looked brand new but was from a thrift store!! not because i couldnt go out and get them brand new clothes and a bunch of useless toys but because i want them to learn that just because it costs more does not make it any better !!!! i have my children help me make there birthday cakes and they help me clean there room every day!!!! they are 3-4!! but yes i do feel sorry for those children that get watever they want just for nothing!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I feel sorry for them because they sit in front of the Wii for hours eating junk, have to walk through metal detectors when they enter school and have to constantly watch their backs for drug dealers, rapists and pedophiles. That is what bothers me. My kids do chores, earn money and don't have any video games. That said, I am sure I'm in for it somewhere down the road.
    Anonymous

• Not all children in the U.S.A. play Wii for hours or walk through metal detectors at school.

When I was a child, I played outside for hours with my siblings. My parents didn't have the worry of pedophiles, etc creeping around the corner to lure their children away. It's sad and scary how times have changed.

When it comes to my child, I keep a very close eye on him. He is my world. I would die if anything happened to him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I feel sorry for kids these days because they will never know the safety and carefree life that I knew as a child. They cannot play outside alone because there are too many f*ing sick ppl in this world now that will come and take them away, they have to worry about someone bringing a gun and shooting all their classmates, and so many of them are forced to grow up so quickly because their parents just don't give a shit about them.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:42 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I guess it depends on where you are from and how active are you as a parent/family in the childs life. I work with children and have done so for the past 5 years. I have seen both types of children. Sad to say (maybe due to that particular community) I have seen some unruly, ill-mannered, insecure children with parents who throw money at them but do not participate in the childrens lives. I cant play mommy to them but I learned to try and give them sometype of leading role such as leading an activity or something and it actually helps. Too many people are quick to critize but do nothing to change what is becoming. I dont pity I just hope that as todays youth develop they grow to be so much more then their experiences.
    moe042789

Answer by moe042789 at 12:51 AM on May. 10, 2009