In the end does it really matter...

what religion or lack there of you raise a child in as long as they grow up happy and healthy?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:34 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally I think that religion is a personal journey and no one but you has a right to draw the map... I don't think any child should be taught religion until they are old enough to discover it for themselves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:36 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Being a Christian, I believe it matters, totally! Happiness and health aren't all what life is about. I believe this is a temporary and small part of what our entire lives are about. Afterlife is what we're aiming for and I believe how we live our lives here on Earth will determine our eternal happiness.
    CALsMama

Answer by CALsMama at 12:36 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I am of the belief that religion is a VERY personal thing between each person and the God/god(s)/goddess(es) that he or she believes in. It should never be pushed on anyone. Exposure to all religions for education is a great thing, but indoctrination is not, IMO.
    taylor-made

Answer by taylor-made at 12:39 AM on May. 10, 2009

• No. It doesn't matter at all! Happy and healthy are the important things.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:45 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Yes, it does matter! It matters 100%!!! I want my children to have enternal life with the glory of God and that will happen only if there is a relationship with Jesus Christ.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on May. 10, 2009

•  I don't think any child should be taught religion until they are old enough to discover it for themselves

I respectfully disagree with you. It is my job as a parent to show and teach my child the path of the Lord. I teach my child all sorts of things they have not discovered.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I honestly do not believe it matters. As hannahwill said, happy and healthy should be first and foremost.
    I believe everyone has a "path" that works best for them, whether that be Christianity, Paganism, Judaism, or even Atheism, and everyone eventually finds their path - its an individual, personal thing, and while we can encourage our children on their spiritual journey, we can't force them or push them, they have to embrace what is right for them.
    We can decide to let them discover things for themselves and not really say much, or we can try to teach them about everything, but I honestly believe that forcing children into our little boxes, or to walk our paths, is detrimental to their spiritual growth, as our path may not be whats best for them.
    I'm not saying we can't take them to our church, but we cannot FORCE them to believe exactly as we do. We have to respect them, and their happiness and health should come first.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:00 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Beautifully said as always Bandgeek!
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:20 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I don't go tto church, so I am not going to force my kids to go. As far as teaching them religion, when they are old enough, I will talk to them about what i believe but I will also let them know that my belief is not the only belif out there. I will let them know that I will support them in any religion they choose to follow. Religion is not something that should be forced. If you try to force someone to believe something, it generally turns them against it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:48 AM on May. 10, 2009

• As a Christian, I disagree with you but if you are not a Christian, I can understand why you feel this way. I also realize that NOT ALL Christians feel as I do. However, I do feel that it is my responsiblity to lead my children down the correct path and to me that path would be a path that follows the Lord. If my children get grown and decide that they do not want to follow this path then at that point their salvation is their own responsiblity. As much as I pray that my children will follow the path of the Lord throughout their adult life, I realize that I can only carry them so far and at some point they have to walk on their own and make their own decisions. As their mother, I will always love them no matter what they decide and I will always pray for their salvation. Although, I do plan to teach my children about the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, I would NEVER beat them over the head with a Bible or religion.
    PrayzAlphaOmega

Answer by PrayzAlphaOmega at 1:50 AM on May. 10, 2009